From: "Diarmuid" <diarmuidfogarty@onetel.net.uk>
To: <casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 2:54 AM
Subject: [casi] Effect of hospitals

I was very surprised to read Judith's post attached to Ghazwan's latest
post. It seems somewhat hypothetical to say that if all the hospitals in the
world were closed down, this would have very little effect on child
mortality rates. Very often hypotheses are disproved by fact.

I am struggling to imagine how children who are suffering from malnutrition
and disease are put at no disadvantage because there is no medical care
available to them. Surely having qualified doctors at hand with the
necessary equipment and medicines would improve the chances of the sick?

Have I misread the post or am I the only one who finds it incredible that
somebody can say that the availability of health care is of minor concern?