RE: [casi] Full Amnesty Report on Iraq 2002

>Hi all,
Under pressure from its members and not until the 11th year of sanctions, AI
did address the economic rights to food, shelter, health care, of Iraqis under
sanctions (see below.)
Yet apparently it failed to mention this grassroots-driven decision
to link violations of these rights to the humanitarian
disaster of sanctions, in its report on Iraq. In other words, it ignored the
mandate of its own membership.
This has to be put together with the fact that AI by and large
does not adopt US political prisoners, or
prisoners who are victims of racism, despite the fact that
out of a prison population that grew from 1 to 2 million
under Clinton, two thirds or more are non- anglo.
AI did not condemn the Jenin attack as a massacre. So clearly
there is a blind spot in the leadership of AI where US/Israeli
policies are concerned, and questions should be raised,
Philippa

 AI on Iraq

   http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news/mag/dec00/iraq.shtml

   Sanctions and Amnesty International

   AI's position on sanctions is currently being reviewed, within the strict
terms of our mandate and commitment to independence and impartiality. Except
when trying to prevent exports of training or equipment that is likely to be
used to violate human rights within the mandate (such as electro-shock
batons), AI's current policy is to take 'no position on punitive
measures of any kind such as sanctions or boycotts', irrespective of the
circumstances in which the sanctions are imposed, or the effects they have.
However, for several years AI has been considering whether it should retain
this policy or devise a new one. There seems to be consensus that there is a
need for change, so a range of options are being developed in preparation for
a final decision on a new policy at the 2001 International Council Meeting.

   For AI the issue of sanctions, for example in Iraq, is linked to economic,
social and cultural rights - under its mandate AI works to promote awareness
of and adherence to all human rights and international adherence to them. The
humanitarian situation in Iraq is clearly a matter of deep concern. AI
strongly supports the position of the UN Committee on Economic, Social and
Cultural Rights and other UN agencies that the rights of the civilian
population
should be protected.

[This is a departure from the US policy, which doesn't
recognise The Convenant on Economic, Social and Cultural
Rights. So why doesn't the report on Iraq
reflect that? Philippa]
===== Original Message From Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar <gaz@uruklink.net> =====