Re: [casi] Dual-use list query

Dear Sheila

Thanks for your message.

In short, I don't know the answer to your query. My impression has been
that the list has been revised in negotiations between Russia and the US,
but I don't know by how much if at all. I guess we'll find out on
Wednesday, if it is eventually passed then.

By the way, the list of dual use items is not just the 150-page US list.
It is actually in three parts:

(a) the existing list developed by the UN technical bodies charged with
disarming Iraq's nuclear, biological and chemical weapons and mid- to
long-range missiles - ie UNMOVIC and IAEA;
(b) the document from the US mission to the UN, containing 149 pages of
items based on the Wassenaar Arrangement, a 1996 export control regime
that evolved from Cold War controls; and
(c) eight pages of assorted items that is annexed to the resolution.

These lists sometimes contradict each other, by setting different
standards for what is prohibited from export to Iraq. I imagine these
problems will have been cleared up in the forthcoming resolution.

Regards
Glen.

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Sheila Zurbrigg wrote:

> [ Presenting plain-text part of multi-format email ]
>
> Hello Glen,
> Thanks greatly for your update on smart sanctions.  Could you possibly
clarify: Has the 150-page 'dual use' list presented by the US last Nov 27
been adopted now by the Security Council (ie. been accepted by Russia)?
Presumably this is essentially the same list The Economist referred to
last June as blocking any substantial technological rebuilding.