[casi] list management - sorry, another message...

Dear everyone,

Sigh. I had initially sent the message below to Ghazwan personally, but
it seems that perhaps other list members might need to read it too...

Abi

Dear Ghazwan,

a reply to your points...

Firstly I have been away from Cambridge for a week so list management has
been in the hands of Seb. He has used his personal judgement which may
differ slightly from mine. We do our best to provide constant cover but we
are all busy!

Secondly you should not assume that just because you have not read
anything on the list, therefore the list manager is sitting inactive. In
fact, all those infringing list rules (including all transgressors this
week) are sent a personal message suggesting that they desist. I don't
think public 'dressings down' sent to the whole list are appropriate or
necessary and just clog up an already busy list.

This is why I suggested in my email (although you seem to have read and
quoted most of it rather carefully you seem to have missed this particular
bit!) that anyone with any queries about list management send an email to
me *personally* and not initially to the whole list. List management is
not so interesting that 200+ people need to hear every complaint about how
the list is run. If you don't receive satisfaction from me, then by all
means take it to the list - but in most cases (including this one) there
is really little point in bothering the whole list.

Thirdly, list members are all adults. I am not the list nanny - I am there
to make the rules clear to people when they are broken. If people chose to
ignore me, in the immediate term there is little i can do. If rules are
broken persistently then I can put people on a special 'read-only' list
where all their messages have to be approved, but it was not my judgment
that the sitation needed such drastic intervention at this stage.

best wishes,
Abi