[casi] Re: Silence is Golden -Sometimes.

Hi Nermin & All,

Quite a debate, going on about media. Which is healthy. Amongst a number of
issues raised, I will limit myself to some of your views.

Most of us believe in active discussions. If one is adherent of a political
party, a religion or governmental organisation etc., one is immediately
restricted. There are, of course times/situations where to utter truth,
however well-meaning, would, in itself, be considered a
criminal act, perhaps because of perverse laws or attitudes. And to do so
may result in severe (sometimes unspeakable) punishment by the powers that
be. Loyalty can be a positive value. However, when it means colluding with
injustices, even evil, the legendary magician, Faustus comes to mind. For
the pursuit of power & knowledge he sold his soul to
the devil. To listen, intensely, to the inner voice, then to see what
conscience dictates.

If I understand correctly, you condemn those "working against their
homeland". That I find quite objectionable. Why? Because some of the great
people, in history, have dared to speak out against wrongs, often at great
cost to themselves. Their objective has been to leave this world a better
place, and that deserves to be respected.

We agree that the blockade, and bombings, of Iraq, should be halted. In
that sense, we cannot afford the luxury of silence, however golden.

Greetings,
Bert Gedin,
Birmingham, U.K.