Re: [casi] media!!!!!

Dear CASI members,
I have to agree with Nermin that we do need to
work towards an alternative media, especially in
Iraq.
Nermin Al-Mufti should know more than any of us
about the Iraqi media, she writes regularly
in "AL JUMHURIYYA" (Iraqi government's official
newspaper) and frequently appears on Iraqi TV.
She is also a prominent member of Saddam's
BA'ATH party and an active member of the General
Federation of Iraqi Women.
When I used to be in Iraq, I remember that when
the "great leader" decides to make a public
speech, the Iraqi media made sure that we were
all listening.
The "great leader" loves to speak to us, the
average length of his speeches is 3-4 hours. It
would be shown on all TV channels, Radio
stations, and on the next day, all the news
papers would have the full text of the "historic
speech" on their front pages.
In Iraq, the government does not need to monitor
the media, it simply runs it.
It might sound silly, but anyone caught
distributing leaflets in Iraq is charged by
conspiring to overthrow the regime. You need a
license from the security forces (the AMN) to be
able to own a fax machine. The same applies to
printers and photo-copiers.
In Iraq, being polite is very important.
Especially when it comes to talking about
the "great leader" and members of
his "Revolutionary Command Congress (RCC)"
(Nermin, was that the right translation? You do
translation for URUKLINK.NET, don't you?)
During the 80s, Saddam signed a law that sends
any person who insults a member of the RCC to
prison for 25 years. The law added :Insulting
the "great leader" would be punishable by DEATH.
Other forms of expressing opinion are
demonstrations. In Iraq we had a lot of them.
All the ones I have been to were pro government
(you will know why in a minute).
I remember when I was in school, we were forced
to attend demonstrations organised by the
government. We used to be given "receipts" to be
handed to our teachers at the site of the
demonstration to prove that we attended the
demonstration and we stayed to the end.
When the demonstration is not organised by the
government, people are not very encouraged to
attend. I have seen an official Iraqi document
giving guidelines about how to deal
with "opposition demonstrations" it says:
"demonstrators should be shot at with the aim of
killing 95 percent of them and saving the rest
for interrogation"
If such thing happened in any country in the
world, the media would be reporting it. But in
Iraq, they would be busy showing the "historic
speech of the great leader"
Yes, we do need to work towards an alternative
media, and we should start with Iraq.

IRAQI

Sent by Mail at easy.com, an easyGroup company.