[casi] Re: [FES] Suicide bombing - historical context {02}

Dear Ken,

thanks for your thoughtful and objective response. I really cannot disagree
with anything you say. I thought the article worth posting because it
located these people in the tradition of nationalists(with a dose of Islam)
who are prepared to die for their cause - and kill for it, again in the
tradition of patriots. Lynn rightly pointed out that the deliberate killing
of innocents is immoral - true, in my opinion,  - but again, this barbarism
only places the bombers firmly within the Western way of war. I might not
agree with them, but they are following, not my logic, but that of
nationalism, (with it's implication for the survival of the nation and the
low value attached to the lives of enemy nationals) . In that they are no
different to the Israelis, British, US or any other organized nationalist
"community". The answer?  Given the contours of the problem, I feel that
logically it has to lie in a recognition of Palestinian national dignity,
which is only a recognition that Palestinians are human, with the same
rights as US, British or other nationals. There has long been international
support for the idea of a Palestinian state, based on the West Bank and
Gaza, with East Jerusalem as its capital. I guess I must confess to this as
my adaptive choice, Ken. The key problem is that the US has always been
opposed to the idea, and supported the concept of a Greater Israel along
with Israeli hegemony in the entire region, with a continual flow of arms,
economic aid and diplomatic support to Israel.
Best,   Tim