[casi] BBC 10 o clock news- anyone got a transcript? (th 28th)

On 29 Mar 2002 at 0:23, richard byrne wrote:

> there was a lot on the 10 o clock news tonight (Thursday) about Iraq, including a  report from
>Baghdad, by Ragy Omar, in which, among other things they had a clip from a Baghdad market where a
>market vendor talking in Arabic was said to have said that m
ost Iraqis could now afford all the luxury
goods in the market.

> This was in the context of Iraq's improving trade and relations with it's neighbours but the
>reporter specifically said it was not sanctions busting goods, implying (I suppose) that oil for
>food is allowing this to happen. My understanding is that witho
ut the oil revenues entering the economy
(as opposed to the escrow account) the kind of scenario the BBC was attempting to depict was
impossible. It would be good to get a transcript of the piece and also if anyone arabic speaking
saw the footage to say whether the guy actually did say what the
BBC says he said.

> Potentially this kind of stuff can be used to say that sanctions aren't hurting the people etc.

This was the aim I think. Are you going to write to the BBC to complain?

I didn't record this item.
Mark Parkinson
Bodmin
Cornwall