[casi] Article: For a lasting peace in Iraq

For a lasting peace in Iraq
By Leah C. Wells

When elephants fight, it's the grass that suffers. Two nations like the United States and Iraq have
unlimited potential for rendering irreversible damage to each other, to the environment and to the
innocent people who get trampled underfoot in the stampede of war.
As a pacifist, I do not endorse violence.

But let's imagine for a moment that I went along with the idea that removing President Saddam
Hussein from power in Iraq was a good idea, that this action would decrease the cycle of violence
in the world, and that it were a decent and honourable thing to do.

Imagine that we got rid of Saddam. Then what?

There are still 23 million people living in Iraq, so long as we did not kill a significant number
of them in dethroning the infamous leader of the Ba'ath party. Among the Iraqis left standing are
young men and women who have grown up in a decidedly anti-American environment, who have been
nutritionally deprived since conscious memory and who are living daily with the threat of future
bombings which have dotted the landscape, virtually escaping Western media reports for the past
eleven years.

Are we naive to think that this same underdeveloped population that has endured hellishly hot
summers, putrid water and abominable health conditions will now embrace American presence and show
gratitude for our reinvigorated military effort against them?

Imagine for a moment that we stopped finger-pointing and blaming Saddam for starving his people for
the past eleven years. Imagine that we stopped blaming a recalcitrant Sanctions Committee and
policy making team from the State Department. Imagine that we viewed the humanitarian crisis in
Iraq simply as people in need. The unending, maddening seclusion maintained by the world community
could then be addressed.

What will we do for these civilian Iraqis with whom we have no argument, the unseen innocent
survivors of an eleven-year siege?

A lasting peace plan in Iraq would have to begin by addressing the immediate needs of the average
Iraqi people — their access to potable water, their educational infrastructure, healthcare system,
their agriculture and oil industries — as well as their access to interstate and international
travel. Restrictions on travelling to and from Iraq must be amended so that a dialogue may begin
between Iraqis and other cultures throughout the world, starting with study abroad and student
exchange programmes.

In Iraq, doctors need vaccines, syringes with needles, X-ray film and blood bags. Teachers need
books and pencils. Children need shoes and a happy childhood. Nursing mothers need proper nutrition
to provide a healthy start for young lives. Iraqis need a wider array of food options and
nutritional intake other than the lentils and rice available under the oil-for-food programme.

Iraq needs an infusion of currency, a way to pay its citizens who desire to work, achieve and
fulfil the demands of providing for their families. Immediately, Iraq needs a plan to rebuild its
infrastructure — the water and sewage treatment plants and electrical facilities so that air
conditioning and ceiling fans function when the temperature is 140 degrees.

We must accept responsibility for the life-altering consequences of our policies on people who
should not have been targeted.

The world community, led by the United Nations, must apologise formally and publicly to the
families who have lost loved ones as a result of the sanctions and no-fly-zone bombing campaigns in
the North and south of Iraq. We must offer our sincerest condolences for our complicity in the
crimes that killed more than half a million children.

Unless we do this, the civilian Iraqis who are not the enemy will have every justification for
taking every opportunity to avenge the egregious wrongs done against them.

Gandhi tells a story about a wise man meditating by a river. A scorpion in a tree repeatedly falls
into the water, and the wise man rescues him each time. And each time, the scorpion stings him.
Another man sees this drama played out several times and approaches the wise man, asking why he
continues to save the scorpion and risk being stung every time? “It is his nature to sting,” says
the wise man. “I am a human. It is my nature to save.”

Iraq needs no new war, no more bombs. They need simple human-to-human outreach. That is the right
thing to do.

The writer serves as Peace Education Coordinator for the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation and travelled
to Iraq last July with Chicago-based Voices in the Wilderness. She contributed this article to The
Jordan Times.

http://www.jordantimes.com/thu/region/region1.htm
--

*

Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Email.com
http://www.email.com/?sr=signup

Win the Ultimate Hawaiian Experience from Travelocity.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4018363;6991039;n?http://svc.travelocity.com/promos/winhawaii/