Re: [casi] Media Lens Debate On Iraq Continued

Dear Yasser,

how about, as a goal : ridding the Iraqi people of Western imperialism and
sanctions.

I see the main cause of the Iraqi people's suffering as being Western
intervention(including sanctions) to protect Western
interests. Neocolonialism, in short. And I think any Western military
intervention is likely to biased accordingly.

I mean, look at our track record. (I'm sure you know all this better than
me).
It was a CIA coup which first put the Baath in power in 1963. It was Western
military and economic support which gave Saddam a qualified victory in the
Iraq's war of aggression against Iran and thereby arguably saved the regime
in Iraq. It was US authorisation after the Gulf War which allowed Saddam's
forces to fly helicopter missions against the rebels and crush them, north
and south. And then there are the sanctions.

These were not mistakes, but policies which served Western
interests in the Middle East. A major problem for the Iraqi people must be
to get rid of a regime that tortures and murders it's own people. But surely
the problem for us, in the West, is to stop self-serving interventions in
the rest of the world that create dictatorships like those of Saddam and
Suharto, support them when they serve our interests and demonise them and
attack them when they go against us.  Regards,   Tim