[casi] A heartfelt question.

Dear all
While I would agree with Yasser Alaskary's  point that it is largely irrelevant whether the
inspectors were expelled or withdrawn I find it a very handy starting point in debates with people
who throw this up as well as challenging it when said by politicians. Being able to correct  this
appararently minor point can cause questions to be made about other issues. It illustrates the
accuracy of  our own country's media. Having corrected this point it is  possible to go on and say
about the tragic consequences that the sanctions are having.
I further agree that we should be only concerned for what is best for the people of Iraq , and now
I find a bit of a problem.
Before anyone says anything let me make it 100% clear I am not in favour of any war but  how do we
support the Iraqi people and stop them suffering from the sanctions?
Of course I want to see the sanctions and therefore the suffering removed ,it is futile to quibble
about inspectors being expelled/withdrawn  but it is equally futile to expect the sanctions to be
lifted when America  has said
it will not ease the sanctions all the time Saddam is in power.Yes this is unjust and inhumane but
that is the real situation, America will not allow itself to  be seen as backing down and couldn't
give a ***** for worldwide opinion.
We all know we should not be in this position but we cannot rewrite history, we are where we are
and trying to find a practical and realistic way out is the problem.
The thing that is hurting and killing the people are the sanctions imposed on them by the West in
an attempt to get rid of Saddam, so it can be argued that if the west goes in and kicks him out the
Iraqi people will have the sanctions lifted and their suffering will be ended. So on that basis
should we be supporting  the proposed military action? However there is (as always) another side to
this , despite the rhetoric that the action will be carefully targeted to only hit the republican
guard it is bound to cause civilian loss of life as well , almost certainly will exascerbate
tensions in the region, and be seen as an act of American aggresion.
We all know that if Saddam is removed there will be a puppet put in his place
but the suffering of the Iraqi people will be removed.
Please do not slam into me , this is a genuine concern and I would welcome anyone's constructive
comments.
I deplore war and I deplore the sanctions.
J2