Re: [casi] Secret 1995 US Report on threat of Nuclear Weapons

Here's the piece from the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists that Paul referred
to. For future reference the Bulletin's web-site - which contains a lot of
interesting information - is www.thebulletin.org.

Best wishes,

Gabriel

Bulletin of Atomic Scientists
July/August 1997
Vol. 53, No. 5

Leave no stone unburned

The Last Word

William M. Arkin

  U.S. and Russian nuclear-tipped missiles, it is proudly said, have been
"detargeted." Given the ease of retargeting, it is mostly spin for public
consumption. Meanwhile, targeting remains a prosperous business.

The motherlode of targeting is the Defense Department's Integrated Data
Base, which contains every place of potential significance to the United
States, both active and inactive-some 450,000 bases, factories, airfields,
and other objects of military interest worldwide that might be attacked by
conventional or nuclear weapons.

As one would expect, the targets are densely clustered in the territories of
former adversaries (such as Russia) or in those of current or potential
adversaries (such as Iraq).

But items of interest among our friends and allies are listed as well. After
all, if Britain and France were overrun by hostile forces, we might have to
destroy British and French airfields and the like, wouldn't we?

Subsets of the Integrated Data Base-for instance, the Bombing Encyclopedia
and the Target Data Inventory (TDI)-contain targets that actually have been
selected for various war plans. The databases are so immense that there are
multiple instruction manuals just to explain and standardize the
terminology, numbering systems, and coding.

After many years wait, I recently received some of these handbooks under the
Freedom of Information Act. Their hallmark is a bureaucratic attention to
detail.

Targeting is an equal opportunity business. The thousand-page Europe/Middle
East TDI Handbook, heavily censored, includes numerous references to Israel,
and particularly to its Jericho missiles, as potential targets. Cities and
towns throughout the world are also included as a target group, although
they should not be confused with "population concentrations."

"P-95 circles," as the latter are called, cannot be less than 0.3 and no
more than 1.0 nautical miles in diameter. They must contain at least 3,000
people, and the amount of unpopulated ground within each circle must not
exceed 20 percent of the entire circle. By using the tables in the nuclear
weapons Physical Vulnerability Handbook, one can predict nighttime
fatalities based on the predominant building type found within the circle.

According to The TDI Handbook, coastal beaches (such as in Norway and
Turkey) are targets if they might become sites of amphibious landings.
According to the handbook, beaches must be categorized by length, distance
from low-water line to the end of the backshore, gradient, and character.
For nuclear attack, the "reference point" is the "midpoint of a line of the
shoreline encompassing the entire beach or coastal segment."

Best of all is the exhaustive list of two-letter country codes in the
Defense Intelligence Agency's Target Intelligence Handbook. Ay is
Antarctica, mx is Mexico, ca is Canada, and ea-you didn't guess it, did
you?-is the Earth's moon. By not calling it the moon, other moons can be
added to future target lists without screwing up the lettering convention.

Complementing the targeting primers are the destruction manuals, the bible
of which is the Defense Special Weapons Agency's em-1: Capabilities of
Nuclear Weapons, a multi-thousand page compendium of blast, shock, and
radiation phenomena. It contains hundreds of handy templates for calculating
casualties and damage. The manual is a work in progress, a source of endless
revisions (and contracts), the latest of which were added in 1993.

Take forests, for example-or "tree blowdown areas." Environmentalists may be
trying to save them, but there is also an entire industry devoted to
calculating their destruction. In November 1992, Pacific-Sierra Corporation
delivered a revised "Fires from Nuclear Weapons" (Chapter 16) for em-1.
Seven months later, Applied Research Associates of Raleigh, North Carolina,
weighed in with its update to Chapter 18, "Airblast Damage to Forests."

This is not ancient history, by the way. This year's budget request from the
Defense Special Weapons Agency includes funding to update four more em-1
chapters in 1998 and 1999. BDM International, Kaman Sciences, Karagozian and
Case, Mission Research Corporation, and Science Applications International
Corporation (as well as Jaycor and Pacific-Sierra) have all done piecework
on em-1 since the end of the Cold War. This despite a 1994 Rand Corporation
review of the agency's work that concluded "that the United States does
[emphasis in original] know most of what it needs to know about nuclear
weapons environments to meet future requirements."

But leave no stone unburned is the targeters' motto to justify their work.
That work now has a modern tinge, with an electronic version of em-1 and a
nuclear targeting cd-rom in the works. Even targeters can go multimedia with
a bang.

William M. Arkin is a Bulletin contributing editor.