RE: Child Leukaemia Treatment in Iraq

Hi Mark,

The discussion of irregular arrivals of leukaemia drugs that I remember was
in the John Pilger / Felicity Arbuthnot documentary.  In that, Pilger
interviewed Prof. Karol Sikora, an oncologist in London.  Sikora stresses
the importance of carefully staged treatments, and the impossibility of
maintaining them in Iraq.  If you're interested in researching this further,
I would recommend speaking to Sikora.

The second people to speak to would be the people at the Office of the Iraq
Programme in New York.  In particular, Hasmik Egian is the information
officer, and it's her job to answer questions like this.  She can be phoned
in New York on +1 212 963 4341.

>From the point of view of imports, the most interesting question to me is
how many of the leukaemia drugs are NOT on the 'green lists' (Hasmik could
probably help with this).  Drugs that are on the green lists can be imported
without the Sanctions Committee's approval.  If the arrival of 'green list'
drugs is slow, it suggests that other factors are delaying them.  These
could include the supplier's reliability, which might be chosen for
political as well as commercial factors.

Proper treatment for leukaemia depends on much more, of course, than mere
availability of drugs.  Nurses and doctors must be capable of providing
treatment, and must be available.  This requires payment of their salaries,
and a budget for their training, both of which have been impeded by
sanctions.  Hospitals need to be well-equipped, clean and have electricity;
these too require a well-functioning system that sanctions have harmed.

I hope that this helps,

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University of Birmingham |
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK | web.bham.ac.uk/c.rowat | (+44/0) 121 414 3754 |
(+44/0) 121 414 7377 (fax) | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | (+44/0) 7768 056 984 (mobile) | (+44/0) 7092 378 517 (fax) |
(707) 221 3672 (US fax) | colinrowat@yahoo.com