LETTER TO NY TIMES

Title: LETTER TO NY TIMES

Howdy from New Mexico.  I thought I'd pass along the following letter I just sent to The NY Times:

To the Editor:

In  “At the Hague, It’s a Leader on Trial, Not a People” (Feb. 17), your reporter states that the trial of the former Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic, indicted for war crimes in the Balkans, is “the first trial of a head of state for war crimes.”  It is the second such trial.

In New York City on February 29, 1992, I attended the public session of the International War Crimes Tribunal convened by former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark, culminating the efforts of the previous ten months of the Commission of Inquiry Clark spearheaded to collect evidence and testimony to substantiate its nineteen-point indictment at public hearings held in twenty-eight U. S. cities and in fifteen countries around the world.

On the one-year anniversary of the Persian Gulf War, the Tribunal’s twenty-one judges from seventeen countries who convened in New York found George Bush, Richard Cheney, Colin Powell, Norman Schwarzkopf and other individuals guilty as charged with war crimes against Iraq, crimes against peace and crimes against humanity.

suzytkane@starband.net