Eleven years of struggle

Hello all,
while we're discussing if we should seperate the government of Iraq and its people, or if we should intervene in internal Iraqi affairs, I found this excellent and moving editorial of a great friend of mine, Nasra Al-Sadoon (writer and editor-in-chief of the Iraq Daily-newspaper), a remarkable women who helped to organise and wrote a book about the woman's peace boat "Ibn Khaldoun" in 1990, that was brutally entered by the American Marines.
This article is written by a sensitive Iraqi woman, and reflects the spirit of Iraqi resistance (Iraqi government ànd Iraqi people together !!) against American, British and Western Imperialism.
Greetings.
Dirk Adriaensens.

Eleven years of struggle

Nasra Al-Sadoon

Each 17th January memories rush to our minds bringing back faces of those we lost, achievements we accomplished, and a feeling of satisfaction that Iraqis foiled the colonial US schemes designed to end all Arab resistance.

Looking back to the past eleven years, I remember the first night of bombing. The house shook with the effect of 2000 planes flying over Baghdad. The horrible noise intercepted by the shocking explosions one after the other. It seemed then that nothing could survive the modern US Armageddon. That first night my son was nine years old. He shook with terror, unable to utter a word. I took him in my arms and whispered comforting words into his ears.

A few moments later he lifted his eyes, whispering, “are we going to die?”

I smiled sadly, and told him, “yes, but we are lucky for we will die together, and go to heaven as one family. They cannot separate us, we’ll be together for eternity.”

He smiled and slept in spite the continued noise and explosions. With the first light, we went out. My late husband, Mustafa Al-Mukhtar to our son and walked in the neighborhood. They accompanied my mother to stay with us during the bombing. The next night, the bombing was more ferocious. My mother started reciting verses from the holy Koran. My son came to sit by her side. He said, “Granny, don’t be afraid. Sure we’re going to die, but we’ll always be together. The bombs can’t separate us.”

We were among those who survived the first military aggression. Our country was reconstructed in spite Baker’s threat to bring Iraq back to the pre-industrial age. The UN sanctions, although they claimed one million and a half Iraqi lives, but it is crumbling. And most important of all, our Leader is still the symbol of resistance in the whole world.

Two years after the first aggression, my mother died, because the Angeside she had to take every day was expired. Mustafa is dead of a sever heart attack. Many friends passed away for one reason or another, Layla Al-Attar, Siham al-Saudi, Ghazi al-Abadi and many, many others. But Iraq will always live independent, free of foreign presence and steadfast.

Remembering the first days of Um-el Ma’arek and our losses, give us a deep will to continue the path drawn by the lives we lost and the suffering and sacrifices we offered. We will never forget, remembering make us more determined to safeguard our independence and freedom to face the new colonial schemes of the United States of America.

At the time Iraq is gaining ground in its battle, the US empire is falling apart, faced with renewed resistance all over the world.