re: Calm between the storms

And then this turned up ...

Dai
eosuk@btinternet.com

Published on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 by Agence France-Presse
Afghan Victims of US Bombings Demand Compensation

Victims of the September 11 terrorist strikes in the United States handed
over compensation claims to US officials here on behalf of Afghan civilians
who lost family or homes in Washington's retaliatory bombing campaign in
Afghanistan.
The handover was the culmination of an eight-day visit to Afghanistan by a
group of four Americans who lost family members when terrorists rammed
jetliners into the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in
Washington, killing more than 3,000 people.

Kelly Campbell, 29, whose brother-in-law Craig Amundson was killed in the
Pentagon attack, said the group had met dozens of Afghan victims since they
arrived in the country.

"We've met with people who have lost their loved ones to the US bombing,
we've met children who've lost limbs to US cluster bombs, people whose homes
were destroyed, who have no income, nowhere to go ... and do not know what
to do next," she told reporters.

"The United States government needs to take responsibility for the direct
effect on these people's lives," she added.

"We have looked at pictures of their families, they have looked at pictures
of ours, we have talked with them, we feel the same grief, but they have
nothing.

"We owe it to them to do what we can to help them rebuild their homes and
give their children health care and an education so they can get on with
their lives."

Among those making a claim was Harafa Ahmad, who lost eight members of her
family when her home was hit by a wayward bomb on November 7.

She told reporters she had arrived on her own at the gates of the embassy
but had been turned away by officials.

"They treated me as a beggar," she said.

The US began waging war in Afghanistan on October 7 to flush out Osama bin
Laden, the Saudi dissident believed to have masterminded the September 11
atrocities, and to help topple the Taliban regime which sheltered him.

The head of the Global Exchange non-governmental organization which
organized the visit, Medea Benjamin, handed over claims from 12 families to
the commanding officer of the US Marines in Kabul, Captain Ferral Sullivan,
at the US embassy here.

She said there had been precedents in Lebanon, Grenada and Panama for
Washington paying compensation to families of people accidently killed in US
bombing campaigns.

The 12 families making the claims, she added, were not angry at the United
States and accepted the bombings of civilians had been unintended. They were
also pleased the campaign had resulted in the Taliban's ouster.

"But they feel they were ... (also) innocent victims of September 11 and
they have such great need and nowhere to turn."

She said one study had indicated that at least 4,000 civilians were killed
in the bombings, which are still continuing, but believed this figure was
vastly underestimated.

Copyright © 2002 AFP