Query on Oil For Food

Hello,
I would like to find out from any-one who can explain the procedure of the oil for food program. Basically, as of the end of phase X (Dec 2001), only $17b. worth of contracts have been recieved in Iraq, despite approximately $30b. having been approved by the UN sanctions committee. This disparity cannot be explained by the $5b. in held-up contracts, but the difference between contracts approved and contracts delivered. It could a matter of bureaucracy, of either the Iraqi govt., the UN, or problems with the contractors.
If any-one can shed light on this issue, I really would appreciate it,
best,
Peter Kiernan