figures, pencils and child mortality

Hello all,
In order to have a positive contribution to the discussions about figures, I copied the latest statistics about malnutrition. Looking at these figures, one can see that there is no major improvement, on the contrary. Don't you think that there is a relation between the situation of malnutrition and child mortality? I think there is.
This clearly points out that the situation under the Memory of Understanding has not improved the overall situation of the Iraqi people. This situation has nothing to do with imported goods being "hoarded". I mentioned "lack of clear water" as being one of the reasons for the futher increase of child-mortality. The impossibility for the Iraqi's to rebuild their economy is another one
The figures also prove that the situation will not improve substantially, unless economic sanctions are lifted altogether. I suggest to Rahul to read the brilliant article of Dale Hildebrand about "smart" sanctions. This article can be found at http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/hildebrand010608.html

Type of malnutrition

1997 april

1997 oct

1998 march

1998 oct

1999 april

1999 nov

General (underweight)

14,7

14,6

13,2

14,7

14,1

12

Chronic (stunting)

15,3

12,2

16,2

11,7

12,8

13,8

Acute (wasting)

9

7,5

8,3

8,2

9

9,2

these figures are copied from: http://www.unicef.org/iraq/library/join-2/southcenter-frames.htm

I also copied here some facts that Felicity wrote in her mail of 16/1/2001, where she forwarded the INOC report.
+   Diarrheal water-borne disease are the "prime killer of children" in Iraq. Congressman Tony Hall visited Iraq in 2000 and wrote: "I share UNICEF's concerns about the profound effects of increasing deterioration of Iraq's water supply and sanitation systems on its children's health.  The prime killer of children under five years of age - diarrheal diseases - has reached epidemic proportions and they now strike four times more often than they did in 1990."

+   The water is unsafe because of our 1991 bombing of civilian infrastructure and ten years of sanctions.  "The destruction of the country's power plants had brought [Iraq's] entire system of water purification and distribution to a halt, leading to epidemics of cholera, typhoid fever, and gastroenteritis, particularly among children. ... [T]he destruction of the infrastructure resulted in devastating long-term effects on health." (New England Journal of Medicine, editorial, 4/24/97).  Congressman Tony Hall noted: "Holds on contracts [under the UN's Oil-for-Food program] for water and sanitation sector are a prime reason for the increases in sickness and death. ... Of the 18 contracts, all but one hold was placed by the U.S.
Government." (www.house.gov/tonyhall/pr149)

+   The Oil-for-Food program provided Iraq with 33 cents per person per day [in the year 2000] of their own money for all of their needs.  "$119.70 is the entire amount that Iraqi civilians got as benefits under the Oil-for-Food program per person per year. ... This is for food, for medicines, for water, for sanitation, for agriculture, for electricity and for education.  That is nothing.  That is really nothing.  So ... each time I say what I say to you now, I get really upset -- on the 5th of December [2000] ... the US
Ambassador to the Security Council [went] before the Council and says the US government is satisfied that the oil for food program meets the needs of the Iraqi people. ... I can't comprehend it? (Seattle speech by resigned-in-protest Iraq Humanitarian Aid Coordinator, Hans von Sponeck, 11/9/01).

Greetings.
Dirk Adriaensens.