RE: books on hold ?

Hi Daniel and others,

I looked into the question of whether educational materials were 'on hold'
about a year ago.  The situation, as I came to understand it, was that the
bigger problem lay in ordering these materials rather than in securing
permission for their entry once ordered.  A number of interpretations were
offered for this: the relevant ministries didn't have strong leaders,
capable of championing their causes; the Iraqi government wanted the middle
class to feel sanctions' squeeze.  I have no ability to assess these.

My impression was that the permanent members of the Security Council were
happy to allow in educational materials, subject to some concerns about
their content (a UN agency in Iraqi Kurdistan that ordered a journal or a
book containing information on some form of explosive was cited in this
context).

Nevertheless, I do think that donating books is a good idea.  The issue of
why Iraq's educational sector lacks resources may be less important than the
fact that it does.  This said, I share your concerns about the wording of
the NMCDI's appeal.  Perhaps someone from the NMCDI could respond on this
question?

> Why is there no readiliy available info about these holds ?

Some new holds data are available at
http://www.casi.org.uk/info/un.html#oip.  See Glen's message to the list
about this, at http://www.casi.org.uk/discuss/2002/msg00045.html.

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University of Birmingham |
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK | web.bham.ac.uk/c.rowat | (+44/0) 121 414 3754 |
(+44/0) 121 414 7377 (fax) | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | (+44/0) 7768 056 984 (mobile) | (+44/0) 7092 378 517 (fax) |
(707) 221 3672 (US fax) | colinrowat@yahoo.com