Better part of valour = Discretion?

Dear Ghazwan,
Don't worry about your lengthy message, neither Felicity, nor the others,
will mind. And your comments, from Baghdad, are especially welcome, not
least because you have known the Iraqi situation first-hand.
What does concern me, somewhat, is your outspokeness re. politics in your
country. Quite honestly, I would prefer you, simply, to explain your
experiences, and feelings, but to be more discriminating about
what you criticise, or blame, at home. Do say what you like, however, about
Britain, or the U.S., however, much may well be correct.
Let me, just briefly, comment on some of your thoughts.
You say Iraq was on the Amnesty International list, for some years. As
an A.I. member, myself, it would interest me to know your views - it doesn't
matter if I don't agree with everything you say (I expect I
should be strong enough to take some criticisms!).
The foreign "guests", you mention, were described, in Western media, as
a "human shield". - The "highway of death" (on the road to Basra?) - was,
cynically, described by U.S. military as a "turkey shoot". - I am also aware
of the deliberate bombings of numerous civilian targets. Then, the use of
D.U., with disastrous short- & long-term effects.
Of course, it is completely unacceptable, the many thousands of, needlessly,
ill or dying children. Political prisoners is a different matter: some may
have opposed their government, maybe for good reasons,
others might have been locked up for having the 'wrong' beliefs, for not
being liked by the authorities (usually, in a dictatorial country),
or for nothing at all. In many parts of the world, sadly, brutality has
become institutionalised, and there are frequent abuses of power. - If you
do wish to comment on any of this, please do so in general terms.
My very good wishes to you, Ghazwan, please continue to keep us posted
on news, and developments, in Iraq - most useful to many of us, campaigning
against those cruel and unjust sanctions, plus the bombings.

Greetings,
Bert (Birmingham, U.K.).

CASI's website - www.casi.org.uk - includes an archive of all postings.