FW: [iraq-meet] CITIZEN OBSERVERS NEEDED IN IRAQ

Title: FW: [iraq-meet] CITIZEN OBSERVERS NEEDED IN IRAQ

----------
From: Dan Winters <dancwinters@yahoo.com>
To: iraq-meet@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [iraq-meet] CITIZEN OBSERVERS NEEDED IN IRAQ
Date: Mon, Jan 7, 2002, 8:02 pm

Hi, Just less than one year ago we met in Denver to discuss Iraq.  Next week marks the 11th anniversary of the continuing war against the people of Iraq.

What do you think of the following suggestion? Please forward it to any list or individual. I am willing to take part in an organizing effort.

CITIZEN OBSERVERS NEEDED IN IRAQ

Once the impending war against the people of Iraq begins we will need international volunteer observers in Iraq. There is little hope of disabusing the Bush (league) team from their planned attack. We should continue to try to avert an attack; however we should prepare to modify the scope and ferocity of the attack via observers in some key areas of Iraq.

Two or three stages, or groups of volunteers, are needed. An international presence would be best.

STAGE 1: Volunteers who are willing and able to leave their country, for Iraq, within 72 hours. This group would get enormous media attention. Some kind of open Visa for Iraq would be needed.

STAGE 2: A second group would follow in two weeks ñ as a replacement group and/or as additional observers.

Pre stage 1: This would put observers on the ground NOW and they would stay in Iraq for as long as necessary.

In addition some of the volunteers could set up a peace camp in Iraq much like the Gulf Peace Team did in '91. I was a member of that group.

Peace, Dan

Dan C. Winters
Boulder, Colorado USA
e-mail dancwinters@yahoo.com