Re: can we trust Iraqi sources?

Dear all,

First of all, I would like to note what has previously been said on this
discussion list in relation to this topic: we risk to drown an emotional and
humanly sensitive topic in dry numbers and discussion about statistics. I
hope the below discussion can nonetheless be justified.  In my view, the
most powerful tool we have in engaging with those who disagree with us on
this issue is good information, and maintaining a credibility that makes it
possible for others - especially those who do not agree with out initially -
to believe the information we present to be correct.

The most detailed critique of Government of Iraq figures I have read is in
an article by Amatzia Baram in the Middle East
Journal(http://www.mideasti.org/articles/baram.html).  I disagree with
Baram's overall conclusion (that sanctions is the least worst option), but
think that many of statements he makes about the figures of the Government
of Iraq are plausible: its statistics are often are often internally
inconsistent, too precise to be possible, presented without any account of
the methodology used to arrive at them, and - crucially - tainted by a
clearly identifiable political interest that would serve to inflate them.
This is not to say that they are always incorrect: in fact, the 1999 Unicef
mortality study arrived at a figure which was remarkably similar to that of
excess under-five deaths which had previously been presented by the Iraqi
Ministry of Health.

However, it is precisely because it can be corroborated with Unicef's figure
that we know the Ministry of Health claim to have (at least quantitative)
substance.  Without impartial verification, we would end up in a situation
where argument is from authority only, and the basis for our claims would be
that for various reasons we trust the Government of Iraq to be right.  This
we might choose to do, but we have no good basis for asking others to do so.
Instead they might, with the same argument from authority, choose another
authority: say, the US State Department or the UK FCO, which claim that the
Iraqi figures are entirely unreliable and that we do not know that sanctions
have caused any harm.  In my view, this polarisation of the discussion of
sanctions is not helpful, as it cannot lead anywhere as long as people
choose to rely on different authorities.  To us, this is nonsense, but there
the discussion simply comes to and end.  At its worst, such discussion has
tended to obscure the desperately important message we have: that our policy
on Iraq is contributing to a humanitarian disaster.

The situation would be different if there was no other information, but as
it is not, we do not actually need to rely on Iraqi government claims.
There is much other information on which to draw.  One of the most telling
aspects of Amatzia Baram's (Spring 2000) article was that although it
purports to discuss under-five mortality in Iraq, it is entirely silent on
Unicef's 1999 survey, which studies precisly this.  This is disingenuous:
what reason is there to omit from a detailed discussion the only impartial
and most comprehensive survey we know of?  Information on living standards
in Iraq under sanctions is publicly available: from Unicef, from the FAO and
WFP, from the WHO, and many independent studies, to argue conclusively that
the decade of economic sanctions has been one of a humanitarian disaster in
Iraq.

I personally think this information is more than enough to argue against
sanctions.  While including Iraqi government statements in our argument
might sharpen the rhetorical edge of our claims somewhat, by slapping
(generally) higher and more numerically precise figures on what other,
impartial sources have already told us, they do so at the desperately high
price of undermining the credibility of what we are saying.  It gives
precious ammunition for the proponents of continued economic sanctions,
adding actual substance to the claim that we are merely dupes of the
Saddam's regime.  And, crucially, we would not have any way of ridding
ourselves of this claim: repeating a claim that is correct (whether in
substance or in absolute) does little good if one cannot say why it is true.

In this situation, relying on Iraqi claims that cannot be independently
verified does us little good.  More importantly, I personally believe that
it does little good for the process of ending sanctions.

Yours,

Per Klevnäs