Freedom of information on the Afghan war

Re my message on depleted uranium I included links the FAS (Federation of
American Scientists) website. Its weapons index and dozens of fact sheets
enabled other researchers and the media to check my analysis of the new
generation of hard target guided weapons that use dense metal penetrators.
As explained previously I suspect that the dense metal is depleted uranium.

 Unfortunately all the FAS links used in my analysis and messages to
Mennolink appear to have been 'pulled'. The main site still works at
www.fas.org .  But the guided weapons section and other references to DU
disappeared last night.

 The following report from the Los Angeles Times explains the pressures on
FAS and similar websites.  See extract below and at:
 http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000094419nov27.story

I understand the need to protect data about potentially vulnerable terrorist
targets.  But this was data about weapons systems that are being used in
Afghanistan, not potential targets in the USA.  So why the need for secrecy?

By censoring weapons information that was previously public domain for
citizens in US and around the world the security authorities increase
suspicions that they have something very serious to hide about US and UK
bombing operations in Afghanistan.  If you still have copies of FAS pages
read them again and back them up somewhere.

 Despite these restrictions on FAS the Internet remains the most effective
way to raise international awareness and government questions about the full
extent of DU use - past, present and planned (and of course all humanitarian
aspects of the war).  This new suspected threat from DU needs discussion in
the United Nations.  Unfortunately they only just rejected a call for an
inquiry into the use of DU in Iraq - unaware of suspicions about the new
weapons and potential risks for civilians and ground troops in Afghanistan.
The countries that voted to reject the Iraq inquiry probably included the
24+ nations that have purchased some of the guided weapons systems under
suspicion.

Dai Williams, UK
eosuk@btinternet.com

=======
Extract from the LA Times, 27 Nov
THE WEB NEVER FORGETS
By DAVID COLKER, TIMES STAFF WRITER

Within days of the Sept. 11 attacks, the federal Agency for Toxic Substances
and Disease Registry rushed to pull a suddenly sensitive report from its Web
site titled "Industrial Chemicals and Terrorism." The agency eliminated all
traces of the document and its description of sources for home-brew nerve
gases and improvised explosives.
 <several paras cut, see link for full article>

Anti-Secrecy Group Now Pulling Pages
For Steven Aftergood, director of the project on government secrecy for the
Federation of American Scientists, the Internet has been a primary tool in
the organization's efforts to battle what it considers misuses of government
secrecy. It collects and disseminates information on nuclear weapons, the
"Star Wars" antiballistic missile initiative and other projects.

Indeed, the Washington-based group was created after World War II by
scientists from the super-secretive Manhattan Project worried that the
government was concealing the dangers of building a nuclear arsenal.

 But since Sept. 11, Aftergood has found himself in the awkward position of
following the government's lead in protecting sensitive information. So far,
he has removed about 200 pages from the federation's site, mostly concerning
intelligence and nuclear weapons facilities.

CASI's website - www.casi.org.uk - includes an archive of all postings.