Re: The Independent: Article on depleted uranium in Basra

It is, of course, great that Kershaw is writing about these things (which
certainly *should* be front page news) but I'm curious as to where he got
his information regarding the Sanctions Committee. For example, he claims to
have 'obtained a copy of recent 661 rulings', but then goes on to reproduce
the old 'pencils are banned under sanctions' cannard. Certainly, I'd have
thought that the doctor at the Basra teaching hospital would be amongst the
last people to know what's going on in the Sanctions Committee.

It also needs to be stressed that, despite their well-documented negative
impact on the implementation of 'oil for food', 'holds' (and the Sanctions
Committee) *aren't* at the root of the current humanitarian crisis. This is
important, not least because the British Government's "smart" sanctions PR
offensive relies heavily upon this misconception.

Best wishes,

Gabriel
voices uk