RE: Frozen bank accounts.

Dear Dr. Jalili

Thank you very much for you message. I think that the contribution of
the National Association of British Arabs on this humanitarian issue is
very vital to us, in Iraq, and to our friends in Britain. I am sure that
Iraqi members of the association have over the last 11 years
experienced various difficulties concerning the freezing of "Iraqi
accounts" by the Uk government.

I am sure that the majority of the British Arabs agree that the
continuation of the freezing of individual bank accounts of Iraqi's for
11 years is unjustified, under any circumstances, and are inflicting a
devastating financial effects on those individuals who are enduring the
harshest sanctions imposed on any nation. I think that the freezing of
accounts are counter productive and effects innocent individuals and not
the government.

It was brought to my attention that for 11 years Iraq was out of the
banking community. No one could transfer money, for any reason,  from
the UK to Iraq, simply UK banks do not deal with "Iraq". As such Iraqis
living in the UK would depend on friends traveling to Iraq to send help
or assistance to their family members, or else depend few office, money
changers, who will transfer the money out side the normal banking system
"koala banks". With the west paranoid by terrorism , law enforcement
agencies are looking into their operations. The result is that now Iraqi
people in the UK are afraid to send money to their families. This will
effect thousands of Iraq's who depend on family members abroad for help.
The poor are getting poorer and the rich are getting richer!!

Best regards
Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar
Baghdad, Iraq
gaz@uruklink.net.

PS: I received a message from Suzi ?? From casi. Regrettable her message
was deleted by accident. In reply to her message I say: The first
paragraph of my original posting gave background information of what
took place 11 years ago. The rest of the posting dealt basically with
"non resident account". The question is NOT HOW my brother paid the
expenses BUT more importantly WHY my father could not withdraw money
from his account to pay for his expenses when visiting London. I hope
Dr. Jalili would tell us the current practice on the "resident account"