FW: A message from the Christian Right

this may not be single issue enough - but give it is Buchanen - best,
felicity a.

Commentary
By Patrick J. Buchanan, Philadelphia Inquirer, Thursday, October 18, 2001

http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/10/18/opinion/BUCHANAN18.htm

'Why do they hate us?"

A month after the massacres, and the ugly scenes of Arabs and Muslims
cheering the wounding of America, millions are still asking the question:
What did we do that they should hate us so?

Last week, the President said he was "amazed" to "see that in some Islamic
countries there is vitriolic hatred of America.

"I'm amazed that there's such misunderstanding of what our country is about
that people would hate us . . . like most Americans, I just can't believe
[it]. Because I know how good we are."

But if they misunderstand us, do we also misunderstand them?

National Review says we are "hated . . . because we are, indeed, powerful,
rich, and good."

Other journalists and politicians say we are hated because we are a
democracy, with freedom of speech, of the press, and of worship, as though
Osama bin Laden's cave dwellers had stumbled onto a copy of the Bill of
Rights and gone berserk.

Now, nothing can justify the atrocities of Sept. 11. Nor need we hear out
unctuous plea bargains for those who murdered thousands of our countrymen in
a crime that dwarfs the evil for which Timothy McVeigh was rightly put to
death.

But after the Taliban go down and bin Laden is run to earth, America had
best
reflect before launching a second Cold War. We need to know why scores of
millions of Arabs hate us. Why does the Islamic sea seem so hospitable to
the
likes of Osama? Why do crowds from the Philippines to Pakistan to Palestine
riot for the Taliban? Why are all the Islamic nations so reluctant to back
us?

And if we truly wish to know why they hate us, ought we not listen to them?
For as the poet Robert Burns wrote, the greatest of gifts is to "see
ourselves as others see us." How do the Arab and Islamic peoples see us? How
do we appear in their eyes?

In the imams' indictment, here are America's alleged sins:

America props up puppet regimes of parasite-princes who squander the oil
wealth of Arabia in the fleshpots of the West.

U.S. presence on Saudi soil defiles the land on which sit the holy places of
Mecca and Medina.
We pollute their culture and countries with drugs, alcohol, abortions,
blasphemous books, filthy magazines, dirty movies, and hellish music that
capture and corrupt their young.

We starve Iraqi children with sanctions, because Saddam defies U.N.
resolutions, as we give Israel the weapons to defy the United Nations,
persecute Palestinians, and deny them the liberty we champion.

To those who hate us, it is America that is the Evil Empire.

To some commentators, it is un-American even to repeat such charges. Yet, it
seems unintelligent not to. For, as Sun Tzu wrote: "Know thy enemy, know
thyself, in a thousand battles, a thousand victories." If we must fight
these
people the rest of our lives, we should know why they hate us, and we delude
ourselves if we believe the slaughters of Sept. 11 came about because we are
"good."

Inhuman as these crimes were, they were not "senseless" or "irrational."
They
were purposeful acts of political terror.

Having seen how Reagan pulled out of Lebanon after the Marine massacre, how
Clinton pulled out of Somalia after Mogadishu, bin Laden believes we have
less staying power than the Red Army that left Afghanistan after a decade of
bloodshed and 15,000 dead.

Terrorism is a weapon employed for centuries by the weak, the desperate, the
fanatic, for a reason: It works. Consider three recent Nobel Peace Prize
winners. In 1946, Menachem Begin blew up the King David Hotel to force the
Brits out of Palestine. They left.

His Irgun perpetrated the massacre at Deir Yassin in April 1948. The
Palestinians fled, as he had hoped.

Nelson Mandela was not sentenced to life in prison for a sit-in at the
Five-and-Dime. The South African government saw him as a terrorist. His
African National Congress "necklaced" its enemies, i.e., lynched them, and
the ANC prevailed through terror. Yasir Arafat's PLO was a nest of
organizations, all of which, including his own Fatah, committed acts of
terror. And, in part,
through such acts, Hezbollah drove the Israelis out of Lebanon and Arafat
brought them to Oslo.

The goal of bin Laden is to drive America out of his region by first drawing
us deeper in. And, as one reads of new U.S. security ties to Uzbekistan,
promises to rebuild Afghanistan, new pledges to Pakistan, and commitments to
help resolve the Palestinian conflict, one wonders if bin Laden's lasting
achievement will not have been to draw the American Empire into a vast
second
Vietnam, from Algeria to Afghanistan, as prelude to driving us out of his
world forever.

Let us pause and think before plunging into another Big Muddy.

----- Patrick J. Buchanan was the 2000 presidential candidate for the Reform
Party.

CASI's website - www.casi.org.uk - includes an archive of all postings.