Annan: "Too often, innocent civilians have become victims not only of the abuses of their own government, but also of the measures taken against it by the international community. They are, thus, doubly victimized". (15 Nov 00)

Excerpt: ...Sanctions must and will remain an important instrument for
compelling compliance with the will of the international community. But,
they could be a blunt instrument, which hurts large numbers of people who
are not its primary target. The record of what one recent study called the
“sanctions decade” of the 1990s has raised serious doubts not only about the
effectiveness of sanctions, but also about their scope and severity. Too
often, innocent civilians have become victims not only of the abuses of
their own government, but also of the measures taken against it by the
international community. They are, thus, doubly victimized.

http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2000/20001115.sgsm7625.doc.html
Press Release
SG/SM/7625

Full Text:

[begin]

Following is the text of an address by Secretary-General Kofi Annan to the
dinner of the International Rescue Committee honouring John Whitehead, in
New York on 15 November:

I am delighted to join you this evening to pay tribute to my friend and ally
John Whitehead, a true internationalist, who has served his country by
serving the world, and served the world by serving his country. Throughout
his life, as this audience knows well, John has been a humanitarian of great
distinction -- as a 45-year veteran of the International Rescue Committee
board, as a diplomat, and as a citizen of the world. He is a most deserving
and distinguished winner of the International Rescue Committee Freedom
Award, and I warmly congratulate him on receiving it.

I am also especially pleased to take this opportunity to express my profound
gratitude and admiration for Mrs. Ogata’s decade-long service as High
Commissioner for Refugees. Under her leadership, the Office of the United
Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) faced unprecedented
challenges and demands, and under her leadership, it met them successfully.
The next High Commissioner, Ruud Lubbers, will certainly have a hard act to
follow, but I am counting on the support of organizations, such as the
International Rescue Committee, to help him to do so effectively and
imaginatively. Indeed, as UNHCR’s largest implementing partner, the
International Rescue Committee is a vital ally for the United Nations, and I
trust it will continue to be so. I wish to thank every member of the
International Rescue Committee for your devoted service to the world’s most
vulnerable people

Tonight, I would like to share with you some thoughts on one aspect of the
humanitarian challenge that is often a consequence of conflict. It is an
aspect which will, I believe, prove more and more difficult for the
international community to handle in the years ahead. I refer to the
humanitarian impact of economic sanctions.

One of the great tasks facing the United Nations today is to broaden and
deepen adherence to the norms and values of the United Nations Charter, and
to make the international community live up to its name. It must be truly a
community of peoples, dedicated to upholding common standards of democracy,
human rights and the rule of law.

One test of this global community is how we respond to States that
transgress the accepted rules and norms, and how we obtain compliance with
the will of the international community. Tonight, I wish to explore the use
of sanctions as a means of achieving compliance. More generally, I should
like to reflect with you on how we move from defiance to compliance, and
break what I have called the “sanctions cycle.”

The international community has at its disposal a variety of instruments
which it uses to bring recalcitrant States into compliance. There is a
continuum beginning with quiet diplomacy –- ranging through public pressure,
or “naming and shaming”, to the imposition of arms embargoes and economic
sanctions –- and ending with the use of military force. As you would expect,
the record of success is mixed. In some cases, discreet pressure behind the
scenes has worked. In others, not even the most comprehensive sanctions have
brought about compliance.

Increasingly, however, the use of sanctions has given rise to concerns.
These concerns relate, of course, to Iraq, but also to the many other States
that are the subject of sanctions today. What is clear is that we need to
improve the effectiveness of sanctions regimes if we want this instrument to
remain available in the future. After verbal condemnation, sanctions may
often be the first and easiest response employed by the Security Council to
a State in violation of international law.

Undoubtedly, sanctions have sometimes been effective -- and may be so again
in the future -- in bringing a State back to internationally accepted rules
of behavior. Usually, the objective has been to change the behaviour of a
government or regime which posed a threat to international peace and
security, and, in a conflict situation, to diminish the capacity of the
protagonists to sustain a prolonged fight. Last year’s hand-over of the
Libyan suspects in the Lockerbie bombing was a case of effective sanctions,
although it took a long time to achieve this result, and until the trial is
over we shall not know whether the suspects are indeed the authors of that
terrible crime.

However, in too many instances, we are witnessing a tragic and unintended
cycle of events, in which sanctions inadvertently strengthen the hold on
power of governments or groups whose illegal behavior triggered them in the
first place. In turn, the international community reacts by prolonging
sanctions, and thereby may even be postponing the moment when the changes
sought will actually come about. It is this “sanctions cycle” that must be
broken.

Sanctions must and will remain an important instrument for compelling
compliance with the will of the international community. But, they could be
a blunt instrument, which hurts large numbers of people who are not its
primary target. The record of what one recent study called the “sanctions
decade” of the 1990s has raised serious doubts not only about the
effectiveness of sanctions, but also about their scope and severity. Too
often, innocent civilians have become victims not only of the abuses of
their own government, but also of the measures taken against it by the
international community. They are, thus, doubly victimized.

[end]

Nathaniel Hurd
Iraq Sanctions Project (ISP) Associate
Center for Economic and Social Rights (CESR)
162 Montague Street, 2nd Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
USA
Tel.: 718-237-9145, x 21
Fax: 718-237-9147
Mobile: 917-407-3389
Personal E-Fax: 707-221-7449
E-mail: nhurd@cesr.org
Website: http://www.cesr.org/isp

*The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the
views of ISP, unless specifically stated*

CASI's website - www.casi.org.uk - includes an archive of all postings.