UN agencies based in Jordan brace for eventual hits on Iraq

UN agencies based in Jordan brace for eventual hits on Iraq

  AMMAN, Sept 19 (AFP) - United Nations agencies based in
Jordan are
  reviewing contingency plans in the event of strikes on Iraq
following the
  September 11 terror attacks in the United States, officials said
Wednesday.

  "We have received 'secret' instructions from our offices in New
York to
  start preparations within our emergency plans in the event of a
US strike on
  Iraq," a UN agency official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

  "Frantic steps to stock up on supplies, namely food," started
four days
  ago, the official said.

  Meanwhile the representative of the UN High Commissioner for
Refugees
  (UNHCR) in Amman, Dario Carminati, said his agency has
taken "precautionary
  measures in any event of the crisis reaching the region".

  "We are reviewing inventory and our contingency plans,"
Carminati said.

  According to the UN official the UNHCR, which has an office in
Baghdad, is
  stocking up on food and water mainly and taking steps to
prepare for fallout
  from an eventual attack on Iraq, including the displacement of
civilians.

  "Different scenarios are being envisaged at the (Iraqi
international)
  borders and inside Iraq," Carminati said.

  "Normally in our contingency plan, we expect people to move
more to Turkey
  and Iran, in case of the closing of borders, and less to Jordan,"
he said.

  "Very few Iraqi refugees come to Jordan," he said, adding
however that
  nationals from other countries living in Iraq moved to Jordan in
the wake of
  the 1991 Gulf war.

  A US government source said Tuesday that the Central
Intelligence Agency
  was checking reports that a hijacker of one of the airliners that
crashed into
  New York's World Trade Center on September 11 had met a
senior Iraqi
  intelligence official prior to the terror attacks.

  "There is an indication that such a meeting occurred earlier this
year in
  Europe," said the source.

  But the CIA was not certain the meeting "had anything to do with
Tuesday's
  events," the source added.

  US Vice President Dick Cheney said Sunday the United States
had no evidence
  about Baghdad's involvement in the plot.

  Iraqi Foreign Minister Naji Sabri denied in an interview
published
  Wednesday that Baghdad had any role "near or far" in the US
terror attacks.

CASI's website - www.casi.org.uk - includes an archive of all postings.