The following is an archived copy of a message sent to a Discussion List run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
[Main archive index/search] [List information] [Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq Homepage]
UN agencies based in Jordan brace for eventual hits on Iraq AMMAN, Sept 19 (AFP) - United Nations agencies based in Jordan are reviewing contingency plans in the event of strikes on Iraq following the September 11 terror attacks in the United States, officials said Wednesday. "We have received 'secret' instructions from our offices in New York to start preparations within our emergency plans in the event of a US strike on Iraq," a UN agency official told AFP on condition of anonymity. "Frantic steps to stock up on supplies, namely food," started four days ago, the official said. Meanwhile the representative of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Amman, Dario Carminati, said his agency has taken "precautionary measures in any event of the crisis reaching the region". "We are reviewing inventory and our contingency plans," Carminati said. According to the UN official the UNHCR, which has an office in Baghdad, is stocking up on food and water mainly and taking steps to prepare for fallout from an eventual attack on Iraq, including the displacement of civilians. "Different scenarios are being envisaged at the (Iraqi international) borders and inside Iraq," Carminati said. "Normally in our contingency plan, we expect people to move more to Turkey and Iran, in case of the closing of borders, and less to Jordan," he said. "Very few Iraqi refugees come to Jordan," he said, adding however that nationals from other countries living in Iraq moved to Jordan in the wake of the 1991 Gulf war. A US government source said Tuesday that the Central Intelligence Agency was checking reports that a hijacker of one of the airliners that crashed into New York's World Trade Center on September 11 had met a senior Iraqi intelligence official prior to the terror attacks. "There is an indication that such a meeting occurred earlier this year in Europe," said the source. But the CIA was not certain the meeting "had anything to do with Tuesday's events," the source added. US Vice President Dick Cheney said Sunday the United States had no evidence about Baghdad's involvement in the plot. Iraqi Foreign Minister Naji Sabri denied in an interview published Wednesday that Baghdad had any role "near or far" in the US terror attacks. -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq For removal from list, email firstname.lastname@example.org CASI's website - www.casi.org.uk - includes an archive of all postings.