RE: On comparing the sanctions on Iraq and the terrorist attack on theUS

Dear Eric Herring,
"The deliberate killing of innocents is morally worse
>than killing innocents as an unintended consequence".

A US envoy from the State Dept. at the
UN Commission on Human Rights, who I interviewed on condition of
anonymity in 1999  for my thesis on the Iraqi sanctions, told me it was
preferable to continue the killing of Iraqis through sanctions, because that
was a clear outcome, whereas lifting the sanctions would produce an unclear
outcome ie Saddam Hussein would be "out of his box". The diplomat compared the
sanctions to the end phase of the Vietnam War, which the US couldn't win but
feared the consequences of  extricating themselves from the region. The US, he
said, prefered the option of  a predictable outcome: ie such and such number
of deaths each week. (Yes, they really think that way...)
If you know your policy is killing people, but you continue, surely there is
intent?
Yours sincerely, Philippa Winkler