Fw: FW: Where Is Our Outrage Over Iraq?

Reggie Rivers wrote that "Iraq was denounced by the entire world for invading
Kuwait in 1990".
Well, not quite the entire world. My Pakistani friend told me that he thought
that the invasion of Kuwait was "the best thing to happen in the middle east
for ages". The view in India around that time was the same, another friend told
me. Kuwait was seperated from Iraq by the Brits little over a generation ago.
The reason for this is that it was the most oil-rich part of Iraq, and has
memorably been described as "an oil field with a flag". Since then it has been
owned by a royal family in alliance with a few western oil companies, with a
workforce of immigrant slaves doing the work. Little opposition came from these
workers when "their" country was to be returned to Iraq, a remarkably
well-developed country by third world standards, then with an enviable array of
public services, especially in health and education.

Palestinians in particular were euphoric that at last someone was challenging
the US diktat over the region, especially when Saddam fired scud missiles at
Israel. The Palestinians had long had it made clear to them that force was the
only reason understood by Israel, the only language capable of persuading an
end to the occupation thay had been suffering for decades. "we suffered
terribly during the Gulf War", said a Palsetinian schoolteacher quoted in
Norman Finkelstein's excellent book "The rise and Fall of Palestine", "but I
cannot remember a time when Palestinians were happier". Finkelstein adds, "By
attacking the Israeli heartland and openly defying the United States, Saddam
had restored to Arabs their human dignity". And not only the Arabs. Saddam
Hussein became something of a third world hero overnight after the invasion of
Kuwait. It was interesting that at an anti-imperialist conference I attended
recently in Algeria, almost every Western european delegation there refused to
sign our statement denouncing the bombing of Baghdad which had occured the day
before, on the grounds that it finished with a quote from Saddam Hussein, to
the effect that if the US and Britain wanted their pilots safe, they should get
them out of Iraq, a fair enough statement, we had presumed. Every single
delegation we spoke to from Latin America, Africa, and asia, on the other hand,
signed it with no qualms whatsoever.

Be careful, Mr Rivers, of falling into the US state lingo of referring to a
consensus between Western Europe and the US as "the entire world".

Dan Glazebrook

-- Begin original message --