Sanctions

"Another human face on the effect of sanctions. The UN Sanctions Committee and Personal Bank Accounts.

We once again see one of the tragic farces of economic sanctions on Iraqi individuals.

An Iraqi teacher-friend from the days of my wife's and my UN service in Iraq has managed to obtain a place as a post-graduate student in a university in Europe. Her late father had left her funds placed for safe keeping in a London Bank. She needs access to those funds to pay for her expenses.

The bank will not transfer her any of those funds, even though she has a residence permit for the country of current residence. Should she go to London (visa permitting) and personally request funds from her account, the bank will release only £250.- per week for sustenance in United Kingdom and, against receipts! There can be no receipt without expenditure, without payment.

Because she is an Iraqi citizen, the bank decides not to give this person (and persons in like situations) access to their own funds. The policies of the UN Sanctions Committee work down to personal bank accounts; even to those of teachers whose studies have been professionally deprived in Iraq by the sanctions.

Roy Skinner
Seewen/SZ
Switzerland
remskinner@bluewin.ch"