Re: [iac-disc.] op/ed: U.S. bombing of Iraq is illegal

One has to exercise some care when interpreting the phrase 'in support of'
(see extract from Colin's e-mail below). In particular, it's worth noting
the following facts regarding the imposition of the southern no-fly zone in
August 1992:

'The formulation used in announcing the no-fly zone made no mention of
defending or protecting Iraqi civilians. According to a Pentagon spokesman,
'The purpose of establishing the no-fly zone - and I would emphasise it's a
no-fly zone, not a security zone - is to ensure the safety of coalition
aircraft monitoring compliance with United Narions Council Resolution 688.'
('Sanctioning Saddam' by Sarah Graham-Brown, page 109).