letter to The Telegraph

"The Iraqi people want to know when Mr Bush will get tough"

This headline says it all. Who is Michael Rubin trying to kid? We
(the US & UK) firstly systematically destroyed the infrastructure
necessary for life during the totally one-sided war. (Notice that our
rulers have never told us about the extent of this devastation).
Secondly, we have maintained a genocidal sanctions policy which
has probably killed 1 million Iraqi children as well as ruining the
lives of 20 million innocent and hapless civilians. Nameless and
unaccountable officials on the 661 committee and in the foreign
office have blood on their hands and our failed political institutions
are unable to hold them or the executive to account.

Under Saddam Hussein, Iraqis enjoyed a high standard of living
with excellent public services. Now after more than a decade of our
policies they still don't have safe water, proper sewage, proper
electricity supplies, decent education, jobs, healthcare etc. No
concerns were raised by the US & UK about his repression and
authoritarian rule until of course it suited us. Indeed we helped him.

I'd be surprised if Michael didn't meet any ordinary Iraqis who
noticed the very different treatment doled out by the US to Israel (a
country which has nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, is in
violation of many UN resolutions, has indulged in ethnic cleansing,
has annexed land, has built and is building settlements on occupied
land, is involved in state terrorism etc).

Hitler and his government were able to get away with their
treatment of Jews and other minorities largely because too few
Germans were prepared to speak up.

Two long-serving high-ranking UN officials resigned in protest at
the sanctions on Iraq. They are now campaigning hard as
individuals against this deliberate humanitarian disaster.
Apologists for Labour Government policies on Iraq get promoted!

Mark Parkinson
Bodmin
Cornwall