"Established Allied War Plans" (G.W. Bush - 7 Aug 01)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/08/20010807-1.html

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
(Crawford, Texas)
----
For Immediate Release  August 7, 2001
REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT TO THE POOL
Ridgewood Country Club
Waco, Texas
7:17 A. M. CDT

Q    Also today, apparently the Iraqis fired upon some allied planes in the
no-fly zone and we bombed, apparently, some of the sites there. What do you
have on that?

THE PRESIDENT:  I've been briefed on it.  As you know, our military can make
decisions as they see fit to protect our pilots -- unless, of course, it's
close to Baghdad, in which case it requires my approval.  The missions that
took place were fully in accordance with established allied war plans.

As I said, Saddam Hussein is a menace, he's still a menace and we need to
keep him in check, and will.

Q    Are they ratcheting it up, though?  We've had a lot of incidents
lately.

THE PRESIDENT:  No -- are they, the Iraqis?  He's been a menace forever, and
we will do -- he needs to open his country up for inspection, so we can see
whether or not he's developing weapons of mass destruction.

Nathaniel Hurd
Iraq Sanctions Project (ISP) Associate
Center for Economic and Social Rights (CESR)
162 Montague Street, 2nd Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
USA
Tel.: 718-237-9145, x 21
Fax: 718-237-9147
Mobile: 917-407-3389
Personal E-Fax: 707-221-7449
E-mail: nhurd@cesr.org
Website: http://www.cesr.org/isp

*The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the
views of ISP, unless specifically stated*