Daily Telegraph assistant editor criticises sanctions on BBC 5 live

 ON Wednesday 4 July Stephen Robinson, assistant editor at the Daily Telegraph was on the Nicky campbell Show , BBC 5 live 9 am - 11 am.

They were discussing Greenpeace's occupation of the Star  Wars base and he said something along the lines of ...(this is an inexact quote, i was just waking up, nearly fell out of bed...)

"We have to find a way to protect ourselves from the likes of Saddam Hussein. We can't keep hurting the people of Iraq. Sanctions won't last much longer...."

He went on to repeat the point again a few mminutes later.

I tried to get a tape off the BBC but no luck so far. I called him to confirm that the above was his sentiment and he said he was hhappy to be quoted as saying that we " can't keep hurting the Iraqi people with sanctions" so long as it was in the context of sanctions being unsustainable in the long term. He stressed this as his personal opinion.

I'm going to try Greenpeace and CND top see if they taped the programme. Did anyone else hear it?

Richard

Voices

Do You Yahoo!?
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/