military sanctions and CASI

Dear discussion list members,

I am writing to clarify CASI's position on military sanctions in view of the
recent
proposal to 'reform' the sanctions regime.  Peter Brooke wrote:

> But where does that leave the CASI commitment to military sanctions
> (which would require extensive oversight of 'dual use' resources)? And
> where does it leave our abhorrence, and presumably distrust, of the
> Iraqi government?

http://www.casi.org.uk/discuss/2001/msg00561.html

CASI has no commitment to military sanctions.  It does not have any
official position on them at all - whether in opposition or in favour - but
has one
concern only: the human consequences of the non-military sanctions on
Iraq.  This is true for many other issues.  An analogy with the human
rights record of the Iraqi government might clarify this.  As an
organisation, we do not have a position on this issue.  That the Iraqi
government perpetrates human rights abuses does not affect our position;
we still want non-military sanctions on Iraq to be lifted.

CASI's position on non-military sanctions is, very briefly:  we oppose any
sanctions regime which harms the normal working of Iraq's civilian economy
and society.  Our position therefore does not 'require extensive oversight
of 'dual use' resources'.  We oppose restrictions which contribute to
continued civilian hardship.  This might include (and it frequently has
for the past few years) sanctions which come under 'dual use' or
'military' labels.  However, we don't oppose them _because_ they are so
labelled, but because they cause hardship.

The proposed 'smart sanctions' carry on several mechanisms which continue
to cause hardship in Iraq.  Some aspects of the revised sanctions do not
appear harmful (expanded 'green lists' might, for example, be marginally
beneficial), but much remains.  CASI, therefore, will continue to oppose
these sanctions.  We hope to provide more substantial comment on the
proposed reforms in the next few weeks, and your help and input would be
very welcome.

Ali Draper
Co-ordinator, Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq
www.casi.org.uk                      fax 0870 063 5022

Ali Draper                               tel: 07990 50 30 26
Girton College
Cambridge, CB3 OJG