FW: We're not kidding ...

Title: FW: We're not kidding ...
Further suggestions re the utterly bizarre UN stress relieving songs prior to discussing Iraq. Is there no sick antic the UK/US/UN will not stoop to when it comes to Iraq? Sooner Mr Ross is consigned to diplomatic oblivion the better, felicity a. (letters to the F and C office might also not go amiss)

Dear Friends,

Amazing, but true ... [see full story below ...]

The blessings of Peace and Justice,

Simon, S. J.

West Side Jesuit Community
220 West 98th Street
New York, NY  10025-5669
Tel: 917-662-5790; Fax: 360-358-2055
Email: GSHarakSJ@yahoo.com

To: usa@un.int
Subject: [iac-disc.] Suggestions for song

U.S. Mission to the United Nations
799 United Nations Plaza
New York, N.Y. 10017-3505

Dear U.S. Mission -

I've just read that each country on the Security Council is supposed to
select a song to begin each day's negotiating round on the Iraq
sanctions.  The U.S. has not yet announced its song selection.

If you're stuck for ideas, here are a couple of suggestions.  They are
all by great American artists and, as a bonus, actually reflect U.S.
policy toward Iraq:

"Cold, Cold Heart" by Perry Como
"How Insensitive" also by Perry Como (the guy just died -- you could
honor him)

Or how about -- and this is my own top pick --

"The Torture Never Stops" by Frank Zappa.

In closing, let me just say this:  The people of Iraq are dying because
of U.S. policy and you people are playing childish games?!  How very
shameful.

End the sanctions, all the sanctions, now.  Stop the bombing.

Sincerely yours,
Paul George

Peninsula Peace and Justice Center
(650) 326-8837  http://www.peaceandjustice.org
457 Kingsley Avenue, Palo Alto, CA  94301
"Peninsula Peace and Justice Center has been one of the most effective
of the activist organizations" - Noam Chomsky
"A lively operation..." - Alexander Cockburn
[Here's contact info you'll want after reading the following message...
U.S. Mission to the United Nations:  email - usa@un.int  Fax: (212) 415-4443]

Dear Iraq Activists,

The following Reuters wire service story is bizarre, if not downright morbid, but I see an opportunity to speak out on U.S. Iraq policy.

It appears that, in order to deal with the "stress" of negotiating new ways to strangle the Iraqi population, the Security Council members have decided to open each day's round of negotiations with soothing music.  A different country selects each day's piece, drawing on their own musical traditions.

Here's the problem and the opportunity -- The U.S. has not yet selected its musical entry, at least they haven't announced it yet.  Perhaps they need the assistance of the American public.

So, here's my suggestion:  Fax or email your suggested song titles to the UN Mission to help them decide what to play when their day comes around.  Suggested song titles should be by American artists.  I suggest that they might also reflect your feelings about U.S. policy on Iraq.  Fax number or email link is at the top of this message.

I'm going to suggest three songs:
"Cold, Cold Heart" and "How Insensitive", both by quintessential American performer Perry Como (a small tribute to his passing, as well) and "The Torture Never Stops", by Frank Zappa.

If you'd like to share your suggestions, I've set up an email account just for this purpose.  I'd be glad to compile a list of "Sanctions' Greatest Hits".  When you write to the U.S. Mission, send a copy to SanctionSongs@hotmail.com <mailto:sanctionsongs@hotmail.com>

Letters-to-the-editor would also be in order, I would think.

And please forward this message far and wide.  Time is running out for "our" team to come up with an appropriate song.

In solidarity,
- Paul George

Here's the Reuters story...

Tuesday June 5 10:27 PM ET

Tune-in-chill-out music to calm U.N. envoys on Iraq

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - To soothe frayed nerves, U.N. Security Council diplomats reviewing Iraqi sanctions decided to start each negotiating session with five minutes of recorded music, swaying from country to country.

On Monday, it was Britain's turn and rocker Paul Weller, front man for the punk band The Jam, was chosen. On Tuesday, a boom box played traditional music from China that diplomats described as``quite lovely and relaxing.'' Bangladesh is next.

French envoy Fabrice Mauries is toying with a Serge Gainsbourg-Brigitte Bardot duet but said: ``We are looking forward to Jamaica.''

Norway's Laila Stenseng suggested the most appropriate might be ``Mamma Mia, Here We Go Again,'' the title song of a 1999 Abba-inspired musical, her colleagues said.

The United States has not revealed its choice. Ireland's John Deady, who has given the issue careful thought, said the lament ``Danny Boy'' was excluded.

The idea came from Britain's Iraqi expert, Carne Ross, and his deputy, Gerard McGurk. The meetings are conducted nearly every day, mainly among first secretaries of the 15 council members who specialize in Iraq.

Council members are racing against a self-imposed July 3 deadline on a U.S.-British draft resolution that seeks to ease sanctions on civilian imports to Baghdad, continue bans on military hardware and review a list of goods that can be used for civilian and military purposes.

  Reuters/Variety REUTERS

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor  Say you love them
with a DOMAIN NAME!

www.