Re: 'ZERO HOLDS - STRONGER SANCTIONS - FOREVER'

>However, he sets up an unhelpful either/or in terms of
>'what to concentrate on'. Attacking on both fronts makes
>sense, with those concentrating on whatever area in which
>they feel they have most to contribute.
>
>Eric

Eric is of course right to say that people should put their efforts into
the areas where they feel they have most to contribute.

My rather abrupt conclusions were supposed to be a suggestion
about how those not at the coalface of research might try to respond
publicly to the new resolution.

I think the basic messages we need to put out are
1) that sanctions are not ending, they are being reinforced;
2) that increasing the flow of civilian goods into Iraq will not and
cannot solve the humanitarian crisis which has kept a large part of a
generation of Iraqi children malnourished;
3) therefore the new resolution is a con trick.

I think that there is very limited scope for trying to persuade people
that economic sanctions must be lifted because of the nature of the
Red List, however important it is that anti-sanctions activists try to
understand the new list (and my hat is off to Colin for his work on
this).

Cheers

Mil

Milan Rai
Joint Coordinator, Voices in the Wilderness UK
milanrai@btinternet.com
29 Gensing Road, St Leonards on Sea East Sussex UK TN38 0HE
Phone/fax 0845 458 9571 Pager 07623 746 462
Voices website http://viwuk.freeserve.co.uk