Talking Points on Smart Sanctions

Hello, all. I haven't posted to the list before. I am currently
working on the sanctions as part of the National Network to End the
War Against Iraq.

In that regard, I have created (with considerable material from
Voices in the Wilderness, EPIC, and Voices UK) a document of talking
points and quotations about smart sanctions, including especially the
UK resolution.

It's on the web at http://www.endthewar.org/smartsanctions.htm It has
been publicized in a number of places, including on Mariam Appeal's
Iraq Sanctions Monitor. If any of you find it useful, please don't
hesitate to publicize it further.

When I wrote it, I didn't have the draft resolution to scrutinize and
had to work from media reports about the resolution. I think
everything stands up, except that I couldn't find explicit mention in
the UK draft of any provision raising the percentage deducted for the
UN Compensation Commission from 25% to 30%, although an article in
the Washington Post
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58172-2001May21.html)
mentioned it.

Unfortunately, reading resolution-ese is not easy, and it's quite
possible I missed something. It seems clear that there is at least
implicit provision for deducting more money, partly through bringing
more funds under Oil for Food and partly through unspecified
compensations to Turkey, Jordan, and Syria for losses they may incur.

Does anyone know if it is, in fact, true that the deduction will be
explicitly increased to 30%?

In solidarity,

Rahul Mahajan