Corrections to response to the State Departments factsheet on Iraq

Hello Elias, I hope all is well with you, my friend :-)

Let me see if I can answer your questions...

> (1)  You mention various GDP figures from Iraq. What are your sources

The GDP figures I used are from the Economist's Economic
Intelligence Unit. But I've also seen other figures (all within a few
billion of each other), so I don't know - which is why I qualified them
with "roughly" and "around."

> (2)  You mention that in the debate on SCR 661 (1990) the U.S.
> "fought hard to try to get medicine included in the embargo". I never
> saw this claim on print.  What is your source ?

"fought hard" might be a *bit* of rhetorical overreach on my part ;-)
but it was proposed & discussed:

Conlon, "Lessons from Iraq: The Functions of the Iraq Sanctions
Committee as a source of Sanctions Implementation Authority and
Practice," 3 Virginia Journal of Int'l Law  No. 633 (Spring 1995), at
636.

> (3)  In addressing the
> quantity of oil Iraq is supposed producing, the State Department
> provides figures and you provide another figure, but without
> indicating the amount or the sources.  The reader cannot make up his
> mind who is right.

You got me again :-)
 The analysis was getting a bit long, and I didn't want to go into
*too* much detail. I did it off the top of my head & not for
publication. But... I should have been more careful. The figures I
used were from OPEC's Annual Statistical Bulletin. In 1989 Iraq
exported around 2.3 million b/d, but in 1980 (their best year to
date), Iraq exported around 2.5 million barrels per day. In 1998 it
was about 1.5, so 2/3 of their best. But it's been increasing over
the last two years. When I double-checked, last year was 2 million
b/d, or 80% of their best, and this year might actually top the 1980
figure (although we'll have to see, they've been running at less than
capacity, for a number of reasons, and politics may yet keep it
down further).

> (4)  You quote James Baker and Bill Clinton that
> sanctions will remain as long as Saddam is in power. What is the
> source ? Same for quote on Bill Richardson.

My source for all those quotes was the Institute for Public
Accuracy: http://www.accuracy.org/new1.htm

> A small detail that may have escaped you.  In discussion the myth on
> import of pencils, books and journals, your comment is correct. But
> note that the State Department is not straight.  They write: "They
> have been sent to Iraq regularly since 1991 and nearly $64 million of
> supplies for the education sector, including photocopiers, and
> printing and lab equipment, have entered Iraq under the oil-for-food
> program.".  What is not clear from this reply is how much is "sent to
> Iraq regularly since 1991" in monetary terms and what is the evidence
> (for I have seen none).  For all purposes when the State Department
> asserts facts that nobody can check, such evidence can be safely
> dismissed.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your point, but according to the
figures on the OIP website, Iraq's received $150.7 million in
supplies for the educational sector under OFF:
http://www.un.org/Depts/oip/latest/basicfigures.html
But the State Department said $64 million, so I went with it...

> Under the Myth "Sanctions on Iraq will never be lifted.", you write
> these security "requirements" are vague.  This is a conclusion, not a
> statement of fact. The uninitiated reader would like to know why you
> come to this conclusion and why "vague" is bad.

Yes, you're right of course, but - again, this was off the top of my
head & I was getting tired. LOL - I guess I should be more careful
in the future - people seem to be taking this a lot more seriously
than I actually intended.

> Regarding the  Myth: "The international community has not taken
> measures to care for the Iraqi people.", perhaps another point:
> Reports by UN agencies and the SG have repeatedly
> characterized the oil-for-food programme as "inadequate".
> Until 1998 the humanitarian programme was not even intended
> to improve the humanitarian situation, but merely arrest the
> decline !  This can be verified by reading the Security Council
> resolutions.

> Many thanks, Ramsey,

Thank you, my friend. I do have a tendancy to be a bit too
reckless, and I need folks to keep me on my toes!

Yours,
Ramsey

"Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest.
As for the poor, they tell
us they'
ve lost all incentive because we've given them too much money" - George Carlin