Clinton Button-holed on Oxford Walk about

CLINTON HELD TO ACCOUNT
OVER SANCTIONS ON IRAQ

May 25th 2001

Former US President Bill Clinton was button-holed by an anti-sanctions
protestor today during his walkabout in Oxford.

The former US President, who was in Oxford to receive an honorary degree,
was engaged in heated debate by Andrea Needham (35) - an Oxford resident and
two-time voices delegate [1].

As US President from 1992 - 2000, Mr Clinton was responsible for the deaths
of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children [2].

"It was completely spontaneous," Ms Needham said. "I just saw him walking
down the High Street and thought, I've got something to say to him. Secret
service agents tried to push me out of the way but Clinton stopped them. We
then argued for several minutes."

"Unfortunately, Mr Clinton's mind was completely closed: he simply wished to
air the same tired old soundbites. After a while I told him that he should
be indicted for war crimes and he walked away."

CONTACT : 0845 458 9571

[1] Voices in the Wilderness campaigns to end the economic sanctions on Iraq
and has sent seven sanctions-breaking delegations to Iraq
(www.welcome.to/voicesuk)

[2] According to UNICEF the economic sanctions on Iraq have contributed to
the death of 500,000 children since 1990. Save the Children UK have called
it 'a silent war against Iraq's children.'