Re: Banned Goods

Subject: Re: Banned Goods

 Dear Colin and others,
 thanks for this thoughtful post, Colin.  As you point out, in Sept. 97, a
 full 8 months after oil-for-food came into effect, the secretary-general
 mentioned "expected" arrival of chlorine, rather than the arrival of
 chlorine itself. Several questions arise.
 .
 a. How long did it take Iraq to convince the Committee that imports should
 be allowed or how long did it take the Committee to decree the same?
 b. what has the Committee been doing since the end of the Gulf War(circa
 '91), if not deliberately preventing the import of this and other
 life-saving supplies?

 I don't want to labour this issue unnecessarily. I agree with the Voices
 position that abolition of the Sanctions Committee would be no of little
use
 to the Iraqi people, without the lifting of sanctions. However, the people
 on this Committee, which has been in effective control of Iraq's ecenomy
for
 10 years are responsible for the genocidal effects of the policies they
 pursue.

 It's secrecy and unnacountability means we cannot dot the i's and cross the
 t's, but the Committee's inaction itself(in the face of mass disease,
 malnutrition and starvation) suggest to me that those who control it have
 been trying to accelerate the humanitarian crisis in Iraq, rather than
 relieve it. How is it possible for UN agencies to do genuine humanitarian
 work in Iraq when at a higher level there is obviously a completely
different
 agenda? Any further info on the chlorine issue would be gratefully
received.

 In peace,   Tim