Re: Banned Goods

Friends,

Not to beleaguer the point, Milan's summary was excellent, but...
chlorine imports to Iraq are restricted (they're permitted enough for
water purification - as determined by the 661 Committee - and each
tank is labeled and its use is closely monitored). I also recall
hearing reports early on in the OFF program that not enough
chlorine was being approved, but I believe that problem has been
resolved?

Elizabeth, there's no such thing as a list of banned items, but
here's a list of items that have at one time or another been part of a
contract the 661 Committee has blocked or disallowed:
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~progress/flyers/banned.html

This list is problematic, I know, but I've used items from the list on
a table to demonstrate the effect of sanctions & it is a powerful
display. As long as you don't claim that these items are "banned"
per se, I think you're okay..

A quick question for everyone, though (and one I've been unable to
get a satisfactory answer for as yet) - according to the OIP, less
than 50% of the contracts *already approved* by the 661
Committee have actually been delivered to Iraq. This strikes me as
perhaps the most serious failure of the entire program. Does
anyone know why less than 50% of approved contracts make it
into the country?

Regards,
Ramsey Kysia
Education for Peace in Iraq Center (EPIC)
1101 Pennsylvania Ave., SE, Washington, DC 20003
tel. 202-543-6176;  fax 202-543-0725
Check out our WEBSITE, now updated weekly...
http://www.saveageneration.org