Recent additions to CASI website

Over the last few weeks, there's been quite a few new additions to CASI's
website, which I thought you all might like to know about. Here's a list
of the main additions -- I hope you are able to find something useful
and informative in there.

-----------------------

1. The Security Council's "Working Group on General Issues on Sanctions",
established "to develop general recommendations on how to improve the
effectiveness of United Nations sanctions", has been unable to agree on
the text of the final report that they were meant to produce last
November. However, the chairperson (Anwarul Karim Chowdhury of
Bangladesh) has produced a near-consensus draft. The latest draft we know
of is from 14 February 2001, and it was sent to CASI.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/scwgs140201.html

This draft report focuses on how to manage sanctions effectively, rather
than how to analyse the effects from a humanitarian perspective and
evaluate them for their effects on a population. For me, it is
disappointing from that angle. Nevertheless, if this report does come
close to the current positions of the US and UK, it's one of the clearest
indications from those countries that they admit to the flawed way in
which sanctions were designed and continue to operate for Iraq (see
especially "Cluster II", eg on how sanctions should only be imposed for a
limited time).

-----------------------

2. "Oil, Sanctions, Debt and the Future" by Abbas Alnasrawi

http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/alnasrawi.html

This paper on the future of Iraq's economy is by a Professor of Economics
at Vermont Uni. It was originally presented at CASI's conference in March
2001.

-----------------------

3. The index of governments' statements on Iraq has been greatly expanded.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/gov.html

It now contains an extensive list of statements on sanctions, not only
from the permanent five members of the Security Council, but also from 18
other States and three intergovernmental and interparliamentary bodies. If
you want to know what the governments of Oman and Malaysia think of
sanctions, this site should be useful.

-----------------------

4. As well as our listing of research papers on Iraq by author at
http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/research.html
we now have also organised this thematically.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/themes.html

This index currently shows the major internet resources on Iraq and
sanctions for each of seven major themes.

-----------------------

5. An index of resolutions by student unions and professional associations
opposing sanctions on Iraq, together with the original texts of these
resolutions:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/ngoresolutions.html

-----------------------

6. A full listing of Iraqi opposition and minority rights groups:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/othersites.html

-----------------------

7. An index of links to audiovisual footage of Iraq under sanctions:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/info/av.html

-----------------------

There's also, from slightly earlier, the audio recordings of CASI's
March 2001 conference at:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/conf2001/

And CASI's nearly-new guide to sanctions:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/casi/guide/

If you have any suggestions about how to improve any of the above sites,
or can give us new information or links that we could add, then please
drop me a note.

Good wishes
Glen.

Glen Rangwala

Faculty of Social and Political Sciences
Free School Lane
Cambridge
CB2 3RQ
UK