King Abdullah: "It is time to end to this suffering, and to lift the embargo on Iraq" (27 Mar 01)

"As for our brethren Iraq, its inconceivable suffering has gone on for far too long. It is time to
end to this suffering, and to lift the embargo on Iraq."

For King Abdullah's complete address, see below.

http://www.kingabdullah.jo/news/details.idc?kn_serial=18&l=1
Address to the Opening Session of the 13th Ordinary Session of the Arab League Conference
27-03-2001

In the name of Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Universe.
Prayers and Salutations be upon the faithful Arab Prophet Mohammed. Your Excellencies, Your
Highnesses, Presidents, and Princes of Arab countries, Peace, God’s Mercy and Blessings be upon
you. It is my great pleasure to welcome you all to Jordan, and to express, on behalf of the people
of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, our pride in you, brothers and leaders who enjoy our full
respect and appreciation. This is the third Arab summit that Jordan hosts and we are proud to have
this privilege once again. It is also my pleasure to welcome Their Excellencies Mr. Kofi Annan, the
secretary general of the United Nations, Mr. Abdelouhed Belkaziz, the secretary general of the
Islamic Conference Organisation, and Mr. Salim Ahmed Salim, the secretary general of the African
Unity Organisation. Jordan holds nothing dearer than its pride in belonging to the Arab Nation. It
cherishes its commitment to serve Arab causes and to mobilise its resources towards building a
future that befits the Nation’s history and contributions to humanity and world civilisation. Your
Excellencies, Your Highnesses, Most previous Arab summits were held to reach unified positions on
issues that had necessitated their convening. Consequently, they were of a reactive nature,
governed by special circumstances. They were not proactive summits predicated on a comprehensive
vision and initiative. This summit, however, is held in implementation of the resolution of the
Cairo Arab summit to convene on an annual basis. I recognise the important role His Excellency
President Mohammed Hosni Mubarak played in the success of that summit. As such, this summit
institutionalises a new approach to joint Arab action. This approach is based on a continuous
process of coordination and consultation, regardless of passing differences and prevailing
circumstances. It probably only meets the minimum aspirations and expectations of the Arab people
who yearn for an efficient Arab Order. The Arab people seek solidarity and a framework of
co-operation that can build on common denominators and areas of agreement, resolve contentious
issues and give priority to common Arab interests. World developments present many challenges and
have led to the emergence of economic blocs that seek to direct globalism to serve their interests.
This requires us to work together. It makes it imperative that we become an integrated group
capable of coping with these developments with confidence, awareness and greater ability. Your
Excellencies, Your Highnesses, Our Nation has for decades, and particularly for the last ten years,
suffered from differences and conflicts. It has suffered from the absence of Arab solidarity and
regression in joint Arab action. Accordingly, others, both near and far, have dealt with us with
disregard. This situation allowed the weak and the strong alike to deal with us from a position of
strength. Arab citizens have thus become bitter and frustrated, with no confidence in themselves or
in their future. It is time we turned that page and overcame our differences. It is time we opened
a new page in joint Arab action with open hearts and clear consciences. This new chapter should
reflect our brotherhood, sacred bonds and common interests. Our Nation is facing enormous
challenges. We have to rise to those challenges and meet the expectations and aspirations of our
people. The Palestinian people have been suffering tremendously for over half a century. They have
struggled in defence of their rights and for their occupied land with all possible means. The blood
of their martyrs has been spilt on every part of their dear land. Today, they are moving closer to
realising their dream of liberating their land and regaining their legitimate rights. We have to
stand by them. We have to provide them with every possible support and assistance that will enable
them to regain their full rights and establish their independent state on their national soil, with
Jerusalem as its capital. We also have to stand by our brethren in Syria in their quest to liberate
all their occupied territories up to the borders that existed before June 4, 1967. We have to stand
by our brethren in Lebanon to complete the liberation of their occupied lands, so that we can
achieve the just, lasting and comprehensive peace which the peoples of the region seek. As for our
brethren Iraq, its inconceivable suffering has gone on for far too long. It is time to end to this
suffering, and to lift the embargo on Iraq. This Arab country has always been at the forefront of
the Nation in defending its causes and rights. It has never failed to respond to the calls of duty,
sacrifice and brotherhood. Your Excellencies, Your Highnesses, Global challenges and changes are
difficult, if not impossible, for any of our countries to face alone. We are more homogeneous and
closer than any other regional economic grouping. We certainly can work together to realise the
aspirations of our people for unity and solidarity. Let this summit be the beginning of a new era
in joint Arab action. Let it be a new launching ground towards solidarity and complimentarity in
all fields; political, economic or relating to national security. From this moment on, let our work
be institutional and comprehensive in vision; let it not be reactive or emotionally driven. In
conclusion, I welcome you once again and wish you a happy stay in Jordan. I pray to Our Protector
to direct us along the path that benefits our Nation, and to grant us success in this summit and in
all our meetings. Peace, God’s Mercy and Blessings be upon you.