query re oil sales

> At the conference this weekend it was suggested that with investment  Iraq
may be able to increase pumping capacity  up to 8 or even 12 million barrels
a day of oil, allowing it to generate large revenues for the civilian
program.

>I was puzzled by this because my understanding of OPEC is that Iraq would
not be allowed to pump that much oil, nor would any OPEC producer.

>In addition, wouldn't increasing the volume of Iraqi oil result in a
decrease in price of oil, negating any extra revenues which could be earned
from the larger volume?

>I've wrestled around with the increasing oil sales and can't really see any
way Iraq could earn more from oil sales in the next few years than $16
billion apart from an increase in the oil price.