FW: BBC News MIDDLE EAST US bombing accident in Kuwait

Title: FW: BBC News  MIDDLE EAST  US bombing accident in Kuwait

courtesy Dave Rolstone of "Voices"  -oops .......... warmest.  felicity a.
----------

      low graphics version | feedback | help

       You are in: World: Middle East
            Front Page

            World

            Africa
            Americas
            Asia-Pacific
            Europe
            Middle East
            South Asia
            -----------
            From Our Own Correspondent
            -----------
            Letter From America

            UK
            UK Politics
            Business
            Sci/Tech
            Health
            Education
            Entertainment
            Talking Point
            In Depth
            AudioVideo

            The BBC's Graham Satchell
            "At this stage, it is not known how many were injured"
             real 56k

            The BBC's Nick Bryant
            "Possibility of futher deaths"
             real 56k

            The BBC's Paul Reynolds
            "Questions will be asked again about the level of training in the US military"
             real 28k

            US Defence Department Lt Col David Lapan
            "We take every precaution that we can to make our training as safe as possible, but it does involve risk"
             real 28k

      Monday, 12 March, 2001, 21:20 GMT
      US bombing accident in Kuwait

      The jet took off from a carrier in the Persian Gulf

      At least six people have been killed as a US Navy F-18 jet accidentally dropped a bomb on military personnel at a training range in Kuwait, officials say.
      Four of the dead are said to be American military personnel. The fifth was a New Zealander.

            I am reminded today of how dangerous service can be

            President Bush

      The nationality of the sixth victim has not been made public.

      Some 10 others were wounded, according to the US Department of Defence.

      Pentagon spokesman, Bryan Whitman, described the incident as a "training accident''.

      The aircraft, which had taken off from the USS Harry S Truman in the Persian Gulf, dropped a bomb on a group of people, officials said.

      Initial reports indicated those hit by the 225kg (500lb) bomb were observing a training exercise, officials said.

      Silence

      As he began a visit to Florida, US President George Bush asked those assembled for a moment of silence for the dead soldiers and their families.

      "I am reminded today of how dangerous service can be. We lost some men in a training accident," he said.

      The accident took place at the Udari bombing range in north-west Kuwait, about 45km (30 miles) from the Iraqi border.

      The US military has operated regularly from airfields and an army base in Kuwait since the 1991 Gulf War, when US forces expelled the occupying Iraqi army.

       Search BBC News Online

           BBC RADIO NEWS

           BBC ONE TV NEWS

           WORLD NEWS SUMMARY

           BBC NEWS 24 BULLETIN

           PROGRAMMES GUIDE

      See also:

      26 Feb 01 | Middle East
      Shadow over Kuwait celebrations
      26 Feb 01 | Middle East
      Kuwait marks liberation
      19 Feb 01 | Country profiles
      Country profile: Kuwait
      Internet links:

      The Pentagon
      US Navy

      The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

      Top Middle East stories now:

      Palestinian killed in blockade protest
      US bombing accident in Kuwait
      Russia-Iran nuclear pledge
      US bomb suspect trial begins
      Arab aid slow to reach Palestinians
      Reformists arrested in Iran
      Further bloodshed in Algeria
      Palestinian disease fears

      Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.

      Links to more Middle East stories

         In This Section Palestinian killed in blockade protest US bombing accident in Kuwait Russia-Iran nuclear pledge US bomb suspect trial begins Arab aid slow to reach Palestinians Reformists arrested in Iran Further bloodshed in Algeria Palestinian disease fears Israel rejects Arafat talks offer EU concern over Palestinian crisis Gaza under siege Syria plans rail network expansion Khatami: Iran must have democracy Saudi: OPEC to cut oil output Arabs, EU discuss Palestinian crisis Iranian journalist sentenced South Lebanon mine blast kills man

      ^^ Back to top

      News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo

      To BBC Sport>>News Sources