Re: Cash component

Hi;

My understanding of the cash component runs like this:
Iraq will be paid cash "from its money" for services rendered under "Oil for
food program". Lets take few examples of this:
1- The government of Iraq distribute 200000 tones on wheat a month under the
MOU. This is ALL imported wheat. CAN the natively produced wheat be paid for
from the MOU. If yes how, Under what conditions? Who actually receives the
wheat and pays the farmers (thousands of them each one contributing few
hundred tons) is it the government or is it another UN bureaucracy. I can
envision endless obstacles if the UN take up the assignment. But the UN on
the other hand does not want the government to handle the money.
2- Medical drugs is another example. We can manufacture the drug (normal
drugs with no hint of dual use materials) a lot cheaper than importing them
BUT we have to import raw materials. We expect that the manufacturing cost
to be paid for from our money which is in the hands of the UN. The UN
defiantly would not accept because this will enhance the Iraqi drug industry
(not on their agenda). It will create a problem for the UN because they will
have to have an army of monitors to verify that all materials have been
manufactured and delivered to health stores...etc. Then there is the
financial side.
In the UN philosophy importing finished good can be easily monitored. Raw
materials to be manufactured over a period of time is really a night mare to
the UN.
3- Soap and detergents are another. We had factories for the last fifty
years. They need raw material to start functioning again. The UN will not
agree to supply these factories with the raw materials because it will
enhance Iraqi industry so we import soap and detergents.
I can continue listing item like powdered milk, vegetable gee.. Can they be
imported in BULK and be packed by the governmentor or the private sector for
distribution?. Knowing the 661 committee
and the UK USA stand I think they defiantly will not agree.

Putting the blame on the Iraqi government is the easiest way to cover-up
their "not so smart" sanctions

 Regards
Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar
Baghdad, Iraq