(Ugliness is in the eyes of the beholder)

Dear Milan
I will comment  on the so-called Dual-use policy as has been implemented
since 91. They can be grouped into:

1- Items that might have in it an ingredient, which theoretically could have
a dual-use irrespective of how small that quantity is. For example the UK
government refused to supply a drug called "Angised" because each tablet
contains 0.05 mg of glycerol trinitrate (this is the active ingredient) a
banned substance. I did a simple calculation. The whole contract
theoretically had 2.5 Kilograms of TNT not enough to blow a small house. The
contract had a value of more than half a million pound. Another silly
example of the dual use is "Mustin" chemotheraputic drug for cancer
patients. Each vial had 10mg of "Mustered hydrochloride". 100 vials
constituted a threat to the world security, so the DTI refused to export it,
because it could be used to produce mustered gas!!. I am sure that DTI was
aware of how many Tones of mustered gas was destroyed by UNSCOM yet one gram
was a threat. A lot of herbicides and insecticides are of similar nature.
Where do you draw the line?

2-  Item that could improve the military capabilities of Iraq. Ambulances
were not permitted because it CAN be used by the military. Telephone
exchanges and communication equipment are still not permitted because the
military CAN use them to improve the their communication. For several years
they did not approve the importation of Cell phones for that reason.
Yesterday they were talking about the Chinese installing fiber optics
telephone lines in Baghdad as a threat to the British and the Americans.

3- Item that could have both civilian and industrial applications. For
example it is very well known that whenever you use boilers you need special
water treatment appliances. We have used for years Reverse osmosis (RO )
elements. We used them in large hospitals with the sterilization equipment
and for Air-conditioning. Oil refineries also use them, so is several
industrial establishments. I do not think that the Army us them BUT the UK,
USA, UN think that the sanctions should not allow the Iraqi industry to be
rebuilt so they included this essential item on the dual-use category. The
deliberate effort to weaken the Iraqi industry can be demonstrated by the
fact that they stopped and hindered many contracts for row materials for the
Sammara Drug industries. It is much much cheaper for us to import raw
materials " in bulk " for drugs and "manufacture" them into tablets than
importing them ready for use. Most of the drugs are few milligrams of a
substance and a lot of starch and other filler materials pressed in shape
and packed. We never wanted to "Manufacture" Angisid. We wanted to do the
simple Paracitamol and similar general use drugs.  Another good example of
the deliberate efforts of destroying the industry is that the have bombed
the "Disposable syringe factory" 10 years ago and they refused the
importation of equipment to rebuild the factory. Iraq desperately needs
syringes to carry out its immunization plan. Iraq need at least 20-30
million syringes each year for its health service.

4-  For more than 60 years successive Iraqi governments have considered
education as a good investment. They sent thousand of students to study
abroad in all kind of fields, social sciences as well as technical fields.
For the last 10 years our scientist were "isolated" by the sanctions. In
response to that the Iraqi government started an intensive program for
postgraduate studies. Such programs need modern scientific equipment and
materials. Some of the essential laboratory equipment and materials they
claim to have a "Dual-use" and are banned. Does the world want us to use 286
computers (if you still can find them) because Pentium 3 in the hands of the
Iraqi's are a threat to the world. Do you remember the Play station fiasco.

The above is only a small drop in the bucket. I am sure that this subject
deserves a lot more. If the past is any indication we are in for a lot of
problems with such thinking. The United States and Britain should stop this
type of ridiculous excuses given for their deliberate attempt to destroy a
nation.Smart sanctions like smart Bombs they kill
Ugliness is in the eyes of the beholder