Re: End Sanctions, Urges Caritas-Europe

End the Sanctions Against Iraq, Urges Caritas-Europe

MADRID, Spain, FEB. 22, 2001 (Zenit.org).- Caritas-Europe has called for an
end to sanctions against Iraq, labeling them "humanly catastrophic, morally
indefensible, and politically ineffective."

Caritas-Europe, a network of organizations embracing 48 Caritas of 44
European countries, made the appeal after its delegation visited Iraq at
the start of the year.

Julian Filochowski, director of CAFOD, the English Caritas, said: "We are
not trying to apologize to the Iraqi regime, but we do want to apologize to
the Iraqi people."

Iraq's infant mortality rate is among the highest in the world. One-fourth
of the children under age 5 suffer from chronic malnutrition. Only 41% of
the population has access to potable water, and 83% of the schools need
essential repairs, according to Caritas-Europe.

Denis Viénot, president of Caritas-Europe, said: "Our recommendation is
simple, clear and can be applied rapidly: The sanctions against Iraq must
be suspended immediately."

Caritas' international network has been supporting humanitarian aid
programs in Iraq for years, through Confrérie de la Charité, Iraq's Caritas.

ZE01022304
ZENIT Editorial Address:
C.P. 18356 00164 Rome Italy

Copyright 2001, Innovative Media, Inc.